You're going on holiday...

Def

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hell is currently reviewing my application for res
Was chatting to my LFS today, and we got round to discussing what to do about maintenance while on holiday. In my case, I regularly go abroad for 1, 2 or 3 weeks at a time. After I get the tank next year after Cuba, I'll probably be in the country for 6 months (time to get the tank settled in) then after that perhaps go away for 1 week, maximum 2 on occasion.

The LFS guy thought this could be a major issue, especially if I went with a full reef system.

I'd appreciate answers to the following scenarios, assuming you have a reef and you *might* be able to get someone to come round once a week and follow basic instructions, no fish knowledge at all.

1. You're going away for a long weekend (4 days), what do you do?

2. You're away for 1 week (7 days), what do you do?

3. You're away for 2 weeks (15 days), what do you do?

If you could give me opinions with the following points:

- Regular adding of RO water due to evaporation
- Normal tank maintenance
- Parameter monitoring
- Feeding

Much appreciated. I want to see exactly what issues I need to think about here, and maybe if I can even get a marine tank at all :(

Thanks.

Auto topoff with float switches controlling my RO/DI unit (spectrapure liquid level controller).

Peristaltic pump dosing b-ionic to maintain calcium and alkalinity.

Only thing I add for vacation is a timed feeder and someone to come to the house to empty the skimmer cup.

You really don't want to use tap water.

But yes, some gadgets and someone to keep an eye on things.

how lond does 'pre mixed' slat water keep for in a barrel?

just wondering as an auto top off system sounds a very nice idea.

It depends how long you want to keep it. Pre mixed salt water will not age if its kept sealed airtight and dark.

But pH may change, for sure.

You don't use saltwater for topoff though.

Most reactions

Back