Your Favorite Shoals

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

stackem evs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at two schools in a community tank. Will be heavily planted at the back and side with some bogwood. With clear open front. Looking at two groups of shoal fish. About 6-10 of each, about 4-6cm.

Is there recommended pairs, which go together well. IE stay together well in their shoal, different height in tank, different areas, different colours, shapes.

Examples may be:
Zebra danios and Ruby Barbs
Cardinal/Neon and Guppies
Five banded barb and Harlequins
Marbled hatchetfish and Platies
Swordtail and tuxedo platy.

I'm sure its only personnal taste, but whats your favourite or recommendation?

Personally, I think Platies go well with Guppies as I used to have a shoal of both which, strangely enough, shoaled together! :# I suppose you don't really know until you get them. For example, my Cardinal Tetra died nearly as soon as I put them in my tank, whereas my Golden Gourami has stayed with me for ages. My advice is to get whatever shoals are the best compatibles with your tank. ;)

I also had a Catfish with the Platies and Guppies, they mix very well.

I got 4 buenos aires tetras, they always swim in a shoal i also have neons and rosy tetras but the buenos aires tetras are the only ones who really stay together, theyre also amusing to watch as they will always stay together, although they do like to munch on my plants.

for a true community tank with 2 shoals in a planted tank, I can't think of 2 better tank mates than a large shoal of neon tetras and a shoal of about 10 harloquin rasboras. This will add a ton of color to the tank, the neons will hang out at the bottom and mid of the tank and the rasboras will zip back and forth across the top of the tank. I love rasboras. I call them "tiger barb light". They really shoal together well, are very active and colorful, and no aggression problems like with tiger barbs.

I am with DoubleJ on this one. I too love the harlequin rasboras with the neons. get a real buz watching the H. R. in their darting feeding habits. A great double act :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back