Yay! Cherry Shrimp!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Oh I can't wait to get babies!
I was planning on giving fish shrimp snacks once they started breeding well, but I just don't know if I could do it now. They are just so entertaining to watch. Love watching them swim all over the tank heh.

Aww, :)
I love cherry shrimp, but 5 of them were eat by my two axolotls. They are a heathly snack for them anyways lol. There was only one survivor and he is in with my frogs now :)

Hehe Axies are buggers aren't they?

Mine got on fine with my fish, he ate the odd one but I didn't mind that.
Then a few days ago he went psycho. In one night he ate 4 litle Platys, 3 Neon Ts, 2 Glowlight T, 1 Black Neon T, and 3 Guppies!
(It was then that he got his own tank!).

Actually whilst buying feeder guppies for my Axie I learnt how ill-informed pet shop staff can be.
One bloke was insistant that the DEFRA act prohibits the sale of live food, even when I printed out the act and showed him that it prohibits fighting, not feeding.
He still wouldn't have it!

YAY!
Just looked in to the tank, and two of the shrimp are holding eggs! YAY!
I look in to the tank every day, so sure they've only been holding them for a day if that long.
How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? When they hatch, will she release them right then and there, or does she hold them for a little bit longer until they're bigger?

i can explain your loss of all ghost shrimp in the past.
there are many species that are sold and labeled as ghost shrimp...most of them come from brackish/saline conditions and will die in freshwater over time. i coulnt keep any for more than a few weeks and i dug and dug doing research and that is what ive found. it's a crapshoot what type of ghosties you are getting and the species are very difficult to tell apart. you;re lucky to get 1 out of 20 to survive for very long in freshwater (that's why they're sold as feeders...)
but cherry shrimp are pretty hardy little guys (as far as shrimp go)...highly adaptable and easy to breed.
i just ordered 20 last week and all are doing very well. no deaths(i was amazed after many many attempts at keeping ghost shrimp-have woken up and expected to find several dead in the morning as in the past with the ghosts and not a one has perished...all are active and healthy and FUN to watch (when you can see them)..andtwo lovely ladies are carrying eggs!!!
the males are paler than the females(almost clear)...females are the bright red ones and as mentioned above, display a whitish/offwhite saddle behind their head when they have eggs in the ovaries...they lay their eggs(and carry them) and the males come along and fertilize them...in about three weeks you get shrimplets :hyper:
have fun with the cherries...i was amazed at how small they were on arrival as well...compared to ghosties ive kept in the past.
cheers

Most reactions

Back