Yamato Shrimp

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

alistairw

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a question about Yamato Shrimps.

I have 6 in my Roma 90 tank and they have been pretty sedate for the month or so that I have had them. However, tonight, 3 of them have gone mad swimming circles around the tank. I immediately did a water test (I seem to do this whenever I see something different......even when I don't to be fair!!!) and all stats were fine. Is this normal behaviour?

Also, 2 others are pregnant and are continually flapping their undercarriages. I realise the young will need brackish water to hatch, which I can't really do, so what will happen to the young?

Thanks for any help.

Al

The three going mad and swimming around like crazy sound like they could be males searching for a female that has release pheromones to announce her readiness to breed.

When the young hatch they will most likely either die (could be quickly or slowly not sure it probably depends on how hard or salty your water naturally is), or they will be sucked into the filter, or eaten by any fish that you may have in the tank.

The three going mad and swimming around like crazy sound like they could be males searching for a female that has release pheromones to announce her readiness to breed.

When the young hatch they will most likely either die (could be quickly or slowly not sure it probably depends on how hard or salty your water naturally is), or they will be sucked into the filter, or eaten by any fish that you may have in the tank.

OK, thanks Baccus

I shall keep an eye on them and see what happens!! :blink:

No worries

You could always try experimenting with some of the berried females and the dH of your water (in a 20L tank), it might be as simple as having mildly brackish water and green water to raise the larva stages of the shrimp and then gradually wean the shrimplets as they reach maturity back to fresh water (or at least your normal tank water).

I did read some where online where a person had some sucess raising larval stages of a shrimp that required brackish condtions in its early stages but they seemed ot run into problems when they tried to decrease the salinity. From memory they suspected that they had tried to change to fresh to early and quickly for the shrimplets.

Yeah, def a shrimp orgy going on in there. Very tricky to raise their fry, you will get females berried a lot but without anything to show for it at the end of the day. Best to just let them be, if you want more it is A LOT easier to just buy new additions.

Yeah, def a shrimp orgy going on in there. Very tricky to raise their fry, you will get females berried a lot but without anything to show for it at the end of the day. Best to just let them be, if you want more it is A LOT easier to just buy new additions.

Cheers! I havent really got the space (or tank!!!) to set up a breeding tank for them, so will just let them be!

Yamato/amano shrimps need salt water when they first hatch so you won't get any survivors in a freshwater tank. That doesn't stop the females carrying eggs. Mine are almost permanently berried. I've never seen a baby shrimp; I can only assume that the fish eat all the newly hatched babies, probably before they have chance to die from the lack of salt water.

Most reactions

Back