Woodland Floor Scene

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stewartb

Reaction score
I live in a wooded area and think the stereotypical woodland floor with fallen tree trunks and moss is very attractive. I'd like to recreate this: I suppose Java moss will do the job for the moss, but how about using pieces of wood (with bark) from local woods and pouring hot water over every couple of days and leaving it to soak for 2 weeks prior to putting it in the tank?

i would go with cork TBH there are some great woodland scapes using cork. Although, using manzy wood with moss would work. Here's a few scapes from woodland scenes

IAPLC-2010-ADA-Contest-2010-World-Ranking-1.jpg

IAPLC 2011 by Pavel Bautin

IAPLC-2010-ADA-Contest-2010-World-Ranking-41.jpg

IAPLC 2011 by Yutaka Kanno

IAPLC-2010-ADA-Contest-2010-World-Ranking-11.jpg

IAPLC 2011 by Wang Chao

IAPLC-2010-ADA-Contest-2010-World-Ranking-22.jpg

IAPLC 2010 by Michael G.W. Wong

You don't to be sure to remove bark from any wood that you collect. It decays inside of the aquarium very quickly.

As for the wood itself, I prefer boiling. It kills any nasties on the wood, soaks out a good bit of tannins, and helps the piece become waterlogged.

You don't to be sure to remove bark from any wood that you collect. It decays inside of the aquarium very quickly.

As for the wood itself, I prefer boiling. It kills any nasties on the wood, soaks out a good bit of tannins, and helps the piece become waterlogged.
What's the actual problem with bark decaying, is it the mess or the chemicals it gives off (do you know what they are out of interest?).

Thanks

Stewart

What's the actual problem with bark decaying, is it the mess or the chemicals it gives off (do you know what they are out of interest?).

Thanks

Stewart

Several problems. Water quality, primarily. Decaying bark can become a home to all sorts of fungi as well as releasing chemical and toxins unknown, depending on your area. Bark also decays at a much faster rate than the wood beneath, which can cause dangerous ammonia spikes. Bark can also hide any number of harmful organisms that should be removed prior to placing in the aquarium.

Thanks. it's such a shame isn't it! Nice aquarium by the way.

Thanks. it's such a shame isn't it! Nice aquarium by the way.

It is. I really love the look of bark as well, but the risk isn't worth it to me.

And thank you for the compliment! I am a terrible aquascaper, but I am content to just enjoy looking at healthy plants!

Most reactions

Back