Willow moss in tropical tanks and other moss please?

AlexT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

When I was finishing cycling my existing set up, I got some moss from the LFS. Turns out it is willow moss (fontinalis antipyretica). It was cheap and I just wanted some "green" in the empty set up. I think it's more for ponds and cooler water temperatures, although there is information online to suggest it can still grow and survive in the middle to late 70's F.

I attached mine to driftwood and 4 weeks later it's looking quite nice. My tank is set to 75F but because it's summer, the tank temperature is hovering between 78-80F. I just wondered............

(a) what's my likely chances of it making it through the next few months?
(b) can you suggest any other moss that might flourish in my set up (attached to driftwood), parameters below

Temp: 75-78
pH: 7.2
KH: 4
GH: 6
Flow: Slow
Fertiliser: TNC lite
Lights: LED 6500K
Substrate: Sand
Tank height: 17.7" soon to be 19.7"
Other plants: crinum thaianum, elodea densa, vallis
Fish: Corydoras, Tetra, Ancistrus

Most mosses like things a bit on the cooler side, but many of them are quite adaptable. I've had good luck with Christmas moss in warmer tanks; I'm sure there are others. I have some willow moss in my unheated tank, which stays in the mid-70s this time of year. It is growing and seems to do fine. It's a really pretty moss, but it seems to get quite a bit bigger than most of the others I've tried.

Most mosses like things a bit on the cooler side, but many of them are quite adaptable. I've had good luck with Christmas moss in warmer tanks; I'm sure there are others. I have some willow moss in my unheated tank, which stays in the mid-70s this time of year. It is growing and seems to do fine. It's a really pretty moss, but it seems to get quite a bit bigger than most of the others I've tried.
Thanks. Yes, been reading that it grows more. I've noticed with mine it has a quite dark shade of green. Mine is in this clip, the best view is at 0.11, 0.18 and 0.27

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back