Wierd behavior from my Bristlenose.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pnyklr3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My bristlenose has always been very "shy". While in a ten gallon tank about one and a half years ago, he spent all of his time during the day at the top corner of the tank by, and sometimes on, the heater. When I got a deco with a cave, he spent all of his days in that. Since switching to my 55 gallon in April, I rarely see him. I could honestly go weeks without seeing him, and then catch him out and about if I get to the tank early enough in the morning (when the lights come on, he quickly rushes off to hide again).

The odd thing happened last night. I noticed that he was sitting (in that sucking manner they do :D ) on a deco, but he was constantly being "smacked" in the head by bubbles from an air stone. I looked this morning, and 12 hours later he is still in the exact same spot. He is quite large, at about 4-6" (I am not very good at estimating) and I have only had him for about 1.5-2 years.

When a bristlenose dies, will he lie on the nottom like any other fish? Or could he possible stay attached to something? This is the most I've seen him in about a year, and this is what has me worried. My hubby suggested that I "poke" him with something to get his attention, but I am hesitant to do this for a few reasons. Any help would be wonderful!

Perhaps he likes bubbles? Is the decoration new? Or he may be less shy/adapted to the tank? Check wilders link, but your best bet is a catifsh forum here or elsewhere.

I hope that he is becoming less shy! He has been in the current settings for almost a year now :lol: . Well, he has since moved on; bcak to his hiding place. I'm crossing my fingers that he'll come out more often. Maybe there was a nice patch of algae right in that spot and that's why he was there so long! I was worried because it's when my fish are acting strange that there have been problems. I am glad I didn't poke him, though! Might have scared him off for good!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back