Why me... again :(

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
I am so sick of these things happening to me. It seems like something is always going on like this in my "fishy" life. :sad: Anyways, here is what happened... Tonight I went to feed the bettas, and didn't see my double tail male, Rosso, anywhere. He always is right at the top ready to eat, so this was very strange. Then I saw him... inside his tiny pot. Was he just hiding? No. He was stuck. REALLY stuck. :-( He had tried to swim through the tiny hole in the back. I know none of my other bettas would attempt this, but he is by far my smallest. He had fit his head through, along with his ventral fins. He was stuck FAST right behind his head, and before his anal fin. :crazy:

I immediately tried to push him back through backwards, as I knew he wasn't coming through. Didn't do a bit of good. I screamed for my mom, and she came running up. She told me we'd have to break the pot... and I guess she was right. We didn't have time to grab the hammer, so she got my hairbrush. By this time I was completely freaking out and sobbing :*) because she had to hit the pot so hard to break it (several times too). I can only imagine how hard on him it was. He was such a good boy though.. he didn't struggle more than once.

Ugh.. he's out of it now, we broke the pot. However, he's VERY badly banged up. Where he was stuck, the scales are gone and he looks "smushed". :-( I'm so upset. I took out about half his water so that he won't have to go so far to breathe, though he is hanging out at the top of the water. I also added Bettamax, salt, and Melafix. Usually I wouldn't use so many meds, but this is bad. I also put an airstone in there on very low flow so he'll have a bit of extra oxygen. I really have no idea if he's going to make it... but he's swimming and ate a few pellets so that's good.

Ugh I feel like such a bad mommy. I'm going to go block up all the backs of my pots tomorrow, and I hope those of you who use them do so also. It's just an accident waiting to happen, as I found out. I don't know what I'll do if I lose this fellow, he is my baby and I'll never find another anything like him. :no:

Sorry for the long post, I'm stressed and still very upset.

Hi juliethegr8t :)

Awww.........poor little thing. :-(

I hope he recovers soon. :nod:

So Sorry to hear that.

It happens sometimes when you think a fish can't possibly fit in there.

Once it happened to a Bosami Rainbow we had in the old tank.

It stuck its head inside the wheel of 1 of those windmill things and got stuck so hard we could not remove it. and had to Euthanise it.

The female molly i had in my hospital tank for birthing did something similar, she got caught under an artifical hollow log, she had never tried to go there before, but one weekend while i was out she did, and i didnt get home till it was too late :sad:

Most reactions

Back