Why Are My Java Fern Dying?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

keri578

Reaction score
I've had Java Fern in my tank for almost three weeks now. I got two clumps of them and have a sand substrate. While they are mostly green, they have large brown patches on the leaves and the stems are turning brown. I have two 15 Watt bulbs shining on them and I used plant fertilizer.... what could be hurting them? I do add salt to the water (not a lot, just a tablespoon during water changes) because I have livebearers. Anything you can think of that might be killing them? I'd say in the original 2 clumps I got, about 1/3 has died off and had to be pruned out.

have you got any pics Keri?

I've had Java Fern in my tank for almost three weeks now. I got two clumps of them and have a sand substrate. While they are mostly green, they have large brown patches on the leaves and the stems are turning brown. I have two 15 Watt bulbs shining on them and I used plant fertilizer.... what could be hurting them? I do add salt to the water (not a lot, just a tablespoon during water changes) because I have livebearers. Anything you can think of that might be killing them? I'd say in the original 2 clumps I got, about 1/3 has died off and had to be pruned out.

Did you bury the roots? Java fern does not need to be planted. Also, java fern will have a bit of a die off period when you get it sometimes, this is not unusual. You don't need to add salt to the water for live bearers. You should only be adding salt to treat certain ailments.

Here are some pics...

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

Dang Molly in the way.... anyways... this is what happens and eventually the whole leaf turns brown and I prune it off.... :no:

Caprichoso is right, it shouldn't be buried. It should be attached to something. Something like a rock or piece of wood. We would normally attach it with either cotton or superglue. :good: So, trim off the old leaves and get the rhizome out of the substrate and you'll be on a winner.

I do have a large log in there.. some sort of african wood for aquariums... how would I attach it safely? Superglue is fine? Will that hurt the fish at all? I have cotton balls.. how would I go about doing it that way?

I do have a large log in there.. some sort of african wood for aquariums... how would I attach it safely? Superglue is fine? Will that hurt the fish at all? I have cotton balls.. how would I go about doing it that way?

No, don't use cotton balls. Just apply the glue to the java fern and put it in the water with the glue on it and attach it to the wood. I have this glue:cyanoacrylate adhesive

You also don't have to attach the fern to anything if you don't want to. I have lots of java that just sites on the substrate and also some that has attached itself to whatever is close to it.

Most reactions

Back