White growths on corydora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Diane12

Reaction score
Hi All

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a corydora that has a couple of white growths, almost like something has attached itself to the fins. They are not anywhere else on its body. It also has a small hole on its nose but that may be from digging.
Tank is 70 litres, ph 6, ammonia 0, nitrate 0.
2 other corydoras in tank, 4 leopard danios and 2 goldfish. I know I need a bigger tank, only started this in June.
Initially I have treated for Ich with API white spot cure, but not sure that it is white spot now. I have also added some aquarium salt in my last water change. Normal water changes every week.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpeg
    IMG_5762.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 14
can't tell anything from the pics or video.
which fish has the issue?
what does the problem look like?

It’s the little one, the whiteness is on the side fins where the fin meets the body. I will see if I can get better photos.
Like a white blob, not furry from what I can tell.

Correction I think it might be furry

Attachments

• IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 9
More photos hopefully clearer

Attachments

• IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
Yesterday there was white growths on both fins but today it is just the one

If it's fluffy like a little tuft of hair, it is Sarolegnia fungus.
If it's smooth, then it's excess mucous produced by the fish to help protect an injured area.

Cleaning the tank usually fixes the excess mucous problem. Salt can be added if it's fungus.

----------------------

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for 1-2 weeks.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back