Which species can be hybridised?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kaida

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had previous to visiting this forum never heard of tropical hybrids, but it's an interesting topic.

I wonder which fish can be hybridised. I know cichlids often can be, but what about the more common fish often found in a community aquarium?

I'd be interested in the experiences of any of you who had hybridised non-cichlids. Did they (the fry) have any problems? How easy or difficult was it? Do you have photos?

Kaida

most danios will interbreed
for instance I have had in the past a leopard danio
Danio "frankei" rerio cross with a glowlight danio Danio choprae[i/]
I have seen Zebra danios danio rerio crossed with pearls Danio albolineatus

Theroretically it would be possible to cross any danio with any devario
like Danio rerio with Devario devario etc; however due to the size differences between the two species it is highly unlikely.

I have heard of muppies, which are guppies and mollies that have cross bred

Being within the same family doesn't guarantee that two species can interbreed... heck, being in the same genus doesn't even guarantee it! For example, Betta imbellis and Betta albimarginata will not hybridize because the former is a bubblenester whereas the latter is a mouthbrooder. Basically, to interbreed, the species need to be extremely closely related and have the same reproductive habits.

there is no hard and fast rule, although outside of family Its not going to happen. Some fish can only be hybridised in a test tube, some can only be hybridised with injections of hormones, heck there are some species we can't even breed with themselves.

Molly can hybridnize with guppies to create muppies right. Molly can hyrbridnize with swordtails right. So can you create Swordtail X Guppy?

Mollies cannot hybridize with swordtails. Mollies and guppies are from the genus Poecilia, whereas swordtails and platies are from the genus Xiphophorus. :)

Synirr said:
Being within the same family doesn't guarantee that two species can interbreed... heck, being in the same genus doesn't even guarantee it! For example, Betta imbellis and Betta albimarginata will not hybridize because the former is a bubblenester whereas the latter is a mouthbrooder. Basically, to interbreed, the species need to be extremely closely related and have the same reproductive habits.
[snapback]866471[/snapback]​

I wish someone would tell my male endler that. He is forever trying to 'get it awn' with the female harlequins. :S :rolleyes:
Honestly, not even close! :lol:
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back