Which Otos?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spannerman

Reaction score
:huh: My new tank has almost finished cycling, and I had decided to get 6 Otos to start the stocking, as they appear to like having a few of their own kind around them, but, having read in previous posts and other websites, that they often die within a short period of purchase when placed in a new tank, I'm not sure if I would be doing the right thing. If I did go ahead with the Otos, and took a chance on them surviving, what would forum members expect to pay for them. My tank is a Juwel Trigon 190 (190 litres/40 imp. gallons), could members suggest alternatives to the Otos that I could have several of? S. :byebye:

I put my otos in my newly (fishlessly) cycled tank and have had no casualties. I suspect alot depends on the fish themselves and how they have been treated before you buy them.

When getting oto make sure that they have a full belly. You simply check each one has a nice round belly that sticks out a bit. If you follow this, you will be minimizing your oto causalty rate.

Good luck!

Nikki

Expect to pay bet £1.99 -£2.99 per Oto. It depends on why you want the Otos - if its for algae removal, then other options could be shrimp or SAEs.

what other fish are you planning on stocking the tank with? maybe you could start with something hardier?

I haven't made a final list yet but my short list contains clown loaches, pearl danios, rams, a pair of pearl/lace gouramis and or a pair of honey gouramis, pristella tetras and possibly rosy barbs. I may add more to the list, I haven't finished looking through my books or browsing my lfs tanks. S.

surely with nothing else in teh tasnk there woukld only be linited algea, as less fish waste to support it, so the otos, would perhapse not go so well.

but then i a complete newbie so don't listern to me necesarrily, tho otos where the last thigns i addded,

and i still lost one.

personally if tu what higher level fish id go for harliquins, and for bottom feeder 4/5 panda cories or other cories there ace little things

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back