Where to post this?

PereguineFalcon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey, i have recently gotten extremely interested in Flowerhorns. I know very little about these incredible fish and was wondering who could, if anyone, fill me in so that they are a little less of a mystery. I don't like getting fish if i know nothing about them so any information would be grand! Thanks!!

Flowerhorns are not really a cichlid, it is a human engineered hybrid. I've had a difficult time tracking down what exactly it is made up of, but I do know that it is of multiple fish (rather then just a crossbreed). They are hyper aggressive and generally don't make good takmates for any fish and are best kept alone. Because they are not real cichlids they have no real scientific name or biotope. Because of their aggression and potentially large size they need big aquariums, 55 gallons or more for a single specimen.

I don't understand the point when there are so many nice natural fish out there, and most of which make better aquarium fish then this one anyway, but thats just personal opinion of course, because to me fish are more then just decorative items for the living room.

thecichlidaddict said:
I don't understand the point when there are so many nice natural fish out there, and most of which make better aquarium fish then this one anyway, but thats just personal opinion of course, because to me fish are more then just decorative items for the living room.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: VERY TRUE

VERY TRUE

people will do anything to make sale...i wonder if anybody has every relased a flowerhorn into the wild? it could pontentially be disaster :no:

they're fish line breed to obtain desired features. the desired characteristics are flowers, pearls, and a huge KoK (nuchal hump).

Plus they are freakin expensive :blink: I saw a 6 inch flowerhorn on one of the LFS in my area the other day go for $250 canadian, smaller ones goes for about $100-150. I'd rather spend that money on more Discus, I think that the flowerhorn doesn't even compare to it....

personally i'm not really for hybrid fish. with fish like the flowerhorn they are bred to be almost like super fish but they really aren't. they really dont' get much more colorful, larger, or aggressive than the fish they have been bred from. to my understanding the flowerhorn comes from a cross between the Cichlasoma Trimaculatus, Cichlasoma Festae, Jingang Blood Parrot and a couple others. the only really difference is a larger hump which in my opion makes them look dumber not superior. if i were you i'd get a real cichlid and go with a trimac. they are just like flowerhorns only they are not hybrids. they get just as big and mean. :)

PereguineFalcon said:
Hey, i have recently gotten extremely interested in Flowerhorns. I know very little about these incredible fish and was wondering who could, if anyone, fill me in so that they are a little less of a mystery. I don't like getting fish if i know nothing about them so any information would be grand! Thanks!!
Try this site hope you can find the info you're looking for.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdis...p?s=&forumid=22

like TCA said nobody knows what the true linage of the Flowerhorn is, the only part that many people think is true is that there is some trimac in them.

as to them being released into local waterways, yes there are many flowerhorns that are released. many of the local asian peoples belive that flowerhorns bring good luck and to destroy one would bring alot more bad luck onto them so they release the ones with "undisireable traits" in other words the ones that don't have good color or some type of deformation.

and also I have seen pics of people that have kept flowerhorns in a tank with Red Devils, granted it was probably a large enough tank and the fish were bought together at around the same size, but they lived together succesfully and I have also read posts of flowerhorns and RDs courting.

Most reactions

trending

Back