When To Turn On Sterilizer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishman120

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone... My tank just fished cycling yesterday. The sterilizer is ready to go, but has been turned off during the cycling. My question is can I turn it on now ?? TIA... Have a great night everyone !!

It depends on your set up. The beneficial bacteria need darkness to thrive. If the filter is exposed to the light I would say not. A newly establishing tank does not have a robust population of bacteria.

Last edited:
The sterilizer is in the return line to the tank, and completely separate from the canister filter.
20200819_214534.jpg

Last edited:
No harm in using that. But FWIW it serves no useful purpose in a tropical tank and is not necessary. Once the bulb needs replacing may as well save the cash and disconnect it :)

Some people do claim it serves purpose through removing bacteria from the water column which may negatively affect the fish. More of as a preventative from bacterial infections and green water etc.. but will not fix the underlying problem provoking such issues. It won't affect your nitrifying bacteria.

Some people do claim it serves purpose through removing bacteria from the water column which may negatively affect the fish. More of as a preventative from bacterial infections and green water etc.. but will not fix the underlying problem provoking such issues. It won't affect your nitrifying bacteria.

Got it, Have A Nice Day And Thank You !!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back