Whatever Next, Brown Fuzz On Silk Plant? Apparently So...

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In addition to some white stuff, dark algae and hair algae,I awoke this morning to find a clump of brown fuzz on a silk plant. What's going on in my awuarium? Its like an explosion of algae and problems all over the tank.

I also have diatom algae on the sides and pale brown 'fuzz' (different to the brown fuzz on the silk plants) at the base of my hygro which I introduced a few weeks ago and seems to be growing pretty well, apart from the fact that where I snipped a stem it won't re-grow).

Lighting is usually on for no more than 8-10 hours a day, with minimal natural daylight from a nearby window. Water chemistry is as follows:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 30-40 (already at least 20 in my tapwater and w/c is due on friday with any luck)

Some questions:
- Why am I getting all this 'problem growth' (algae, both lots of brown fuzz, white stuff, etc)
- How can I stop all this 'problem growth'?
- Why isn't my hygro recovering from being snipped? Its pale grey at the tip where I cut it off.

I was planning to fully plant the tank, removing the silk plants and replacing with some of the smaller echinodorus species, crypts and possibly some vallis or sag. Potentially some redmoor wood with some java fern/moss too. Currently in there is some hygro polysperma, anubias (unsure of what species, but pretty small leaves) and two marimo balls.

Many thanks

Most reactions

Back