What Type Of Algae Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
For the last month, my planted aquarium has been receiving significantly more stronger rays of light from 2 x 24w HO Hagen Fluorescent tubes since the removal of around one hundred Amazon frogbit from the water surface.

Ever since making this change for the betterment of plant growth and compatibility, small white particles have been appearing and adhering to many plant leaves and the filter box. Rather than describing the particles, please see the images attached below.

Particles on Filter
dsc05304s.jpg

dsc05304a.jpg

Particles on Leaves
dsc05303c.jpg

From the pictures provided, can anyone ID what the particles are called and how I can remove them? Most of the plants are growing very well despite being covered in particles, but one plant is not fairing too well so I've lost £5-7 in foliage to this algal particle so far.

Also, in response to the high light, the green leaves on a plant named Echinodorus Aquartica have started to die back completely but are being quickly replaced with dark red leaves. Is this normal? Hopefully, the reddening is a sign that the plant is getting ample c02?

Mark.

sorry i dont know - you could try googlingand algae identification guide???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back