What Predator Should I Go For ?

Ronananator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so on april 3 it is my birthday i want to know what predator i should get ill prob have about 200 "Euro" for my birthday so im prob gonna get 100-200 litre tank i already have a heater and might be getting a filter off a friend but not sure.

i was thinking dwarf channas these are called snakehead right ? i want something that doesnt always feed on "feeder fish" but i can feed bloodworms ect aswell

i was also thinking tigar oscars they look amazing =]

any advice anyone ?

theres a big difference between 100 and 200 litres so you need to clariify what tank size you are getting asan oscar grows large and very quickly and with a tank as small as that you are not going to be able to house an oscar

channa are a different ketle of fish. I;ve kept many over the years and will heavily recomend them. You don;t need to feed feeder fish at any stage, they are easy to feed and bloodworm is a waste of timeas theres no nutritional content

I suggest you read a bit more about the different types of channa and their care

They are easy to keep if you can keep them in the tank as they like to jump out of gaps and breed relatively easy. Olus they are lovely fish

I would recomend Orientalis and Assam

i was thinking all day about channa they look extremly amazing and now u just told me they dont ened feeder fish at any stage dude i love you lol =[ " only messing" this is defo what im gonna go for what size tank would i need for 1 male and one female i also hear they care for there jung thats amazing

one more question would i need new filter i had a 57 litre filter now im asumming i would need a better one yes ? just woundering =]

i was thinking all day about channa they look extremly amazing and now u just told me they dont ened feeder fish at any stage dude i love you lol =[ " only messing" this is defo what im gonna go for what size tank would i need for 1 male and one female i also hear they care for there jung thats amazing

one more question would i need new filter i had a 57 litre filter now im asumming i would need a better one yes ? just woundering =]

Unless you pay a bit more you wont get a proper breeding pair so you will need a group of 5-8 and let them pair of naturally.

you want an external if you're going more than 100 liter in my opinoon

Unless you pay a bit more you wont get a proper breeding pair so you will need a group of 5-8 and let them pair of naturally.

you want an external if you're going more than 100 liter in my opinoon

ya i have no problem getting filter ect just woundering btw woulld 5-8 go in a 120 litre tank ?

if your talking about a 120g tank look at Channa Pulchra they are gorgeous fish and Always for lora said get 6 or 8. they grow very quickly and are cool asbabies anyway and they end up brutish but beautiful looking fish

I have two red belly piranhs a oscar and a jack dempsey. I wanna get another aggresive fish but havnt decided on what one i should get any idea's would be awsome thank's.

I have two red belly piranhs a oscar and a jack dempsey. I wanna get another aggresive fish but havnt decided on what one i should get any idea's would be awsome thank's.

Welcome to the forum, ok its best you start a fresh with you stocking, long term thats not going to work, please advise what size tank you have, this way we can reccomend stocking and best possible mix, without knowing the tank size{for example as iam seeing 2 pirahna / 1oscar / and a dempsey iam imaging your tank to be around 7ft / 2ft / 2ft. Even with that size tank taking the pirahna out is your best bet, pirahna are best kept in a species only tank, removing these from the tank will open up the field of stocking choices, Depending on your tank size

OP, Hello hope you have a good birthday, as to predator, what sort of things do you like other than snakeheads, oscars is a no no, you need around 500 litres for these guys, have a look at this snakehead info guide, we added some info here to try and help.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/275920-post-you-snake-heads/

I'd personally get the Batrachus trispinosus (Look this species up). A long-lived predatory fish, and very lenient towards water quality (Although I'd provide Brackish conditions). Hardy species which are an awesome species to watch feed. They do not wonder out from their den unless food approaches. They however do not become a colossal species...nearing twelve inches at max. Please, feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Most reactions

Back