What Plant is This and How do I Prune / Shape?

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got this plant that looks like a little lilly pad. I thought it would grow branches, but so far it's mostly single stalks growing tall.
I cut a couple of them and haven't seen anything grow out of the part still in the ground.
I'd like to shape it into some kind of bushy look, but not sure I can do it.

What is this plant and how to I tend to it? Does it just grow straight up like that or can I coax it to branch and form a bushy-like appearance? Forgive the algae on them- I'm working on it.... ;)
whatplant1.jpg
whatplant2.jpg

I'm no help at all, but I'm responding because I'm also curious now and wanting to get notified once someone IDs it. :D

The leaf shape reminds me of Brazilian pennywort, but have never seen it grow vertically like that, and without branching. Maybe some other member of the "wort" family?

I wonder if @Colin_T knows

Any chance you could get a photo of the bases, and maybe a shot from above, if possible? Or slightly higher, to get a better idea of the leaf shape.

I was thinking the same (don't take me as anyone who knows anything though, I'm terrible at identifing plants). Could it be a lack of/dim lighting that's encouraging it to grow so high? Is there anything above it blocking the light?

It is my impression that Vulgaris has the the tendency to head for the top of the tank and out of the water. It is difficult to keep it within the water column without high light and Co2.

It is my impression that Vulgaris has the the tendency to head for the top of the tank and out of the water. It is difficult to keep it within the water column without high light and Co2.
You're right, Vulgaris is taller... I thought the stems looked quite tall in the photos, no? Anyway, it's one of those 2 OP 😅

OP if you want something similar that is more "branchy" try Hydrocotyle leucocephala.
Hydrocotyle leucocephala was what I wanted. I asked about it at the LFS- she said ...maybe that's it? It was not doing great so she sold it to me cheap. @Mr_Harrys has some in his tank. I saw it and had to have it! This one certainly doesn't act the same, though.

My wife loves this plant, though, or I'd find some other use for it.

It is difficult to keep it within the water column without high light and Co2.
It looks like it's heading for the top, although it's not halfway there yet. I have very high light and CO2. My plants pearl so much it looks like it's raining upside down with bubbles LOL. I'm trying to get the plants to outgrow the algae- it's working in some spots, not so much in others. These plants are kind of in between- they host some algae, but aren't completely covered- I also stick my hand in there and wipe it off every few days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back