The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

teknikz

Fish Addict
Reaction score
what pH do cichlids need?

i had an elephant nose cichlid and a firebird cichlid

i've never heard of an elephant nose cichlid or a firebird :/ do you have a pic?can ya call the lfs and ask if they'r american or african cichlids(or other)this will help alot.

mostanks said:
i've never heard of an elephant nose cichlid or a firebird :/ do you have a pic?can ya call the lfs and ask if they'r american or african cichlids(or other)this will help alot.
An Elephant Nose Cichlid, according to Baesch is Cyrtocara linni, but it may be a morph of C.polystigma. No one really knows. It is a native of Lake Malawi, pradaceous and potentially 10 inches so "should only be kept with tank mates of the same or larger size". Like all Lake Malawi cichlids, it requires hard, alkaline water and plenty of rocky hiding places.

I've no idea what a Firebird is. It could be a Firemouth Cichlid, Thorichthys meeki, which is a native of Guatemala and at 6" adult length would soon be lunch, if Baesch is correct. It requires soft, acid water and is extremely aggressive.

Or I suppose it could be a Fire eel, but that sounds rare and vicious.

The most likely explanation is either that its another common name of some other well-known cichlid, or that its some kind of hybrid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back