What Is Wrong With My Needlefish?

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok i finally got it to eat, but he tries to go eat the goldfish and this happens, he bites the goldfish destroys it partially with his teeth( like a piranha), then he puts it in a bag which is between his throat and mouth and you can even see the goldfish in it because its visible, and then he spits the goldfish out, and the goldfish swims like without scales, eyes, etc. what is wrong with him, he is 8" long and the goldfish i bought are the small common type ones, not the large ones, they are like 1.5" only, he does crazy stuff when he eats them like stick his mouth out of the water, dart around, splash gallons of water outside the tank, but never swallows them, is there a problem?? the tank is 55 gallons, and he has tries to eat a few blackskirt tetras but he couldn't he just spat them out and then i had to flush them while they were half dead or almost there, HE HAS REALLY BAD MANNERS, worst than an oscar's

Tank stats and actual species of needle fish?

Does it look healthy? How long have you had it?

TBH it's more a case of what's wrong with you? The description of the goldfish sounds pretty gruesome and distressing, if you aren't concerned about that, why are you even keeping fish?

Why are you feeding goldfish anyway?

Read this: <a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148384" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148384</a>

sir, the needlefish its one of the most picky eaters in the hobby, besides the peacock eel, most of them do not eat the freeze dried food, the nitrites and nitrates in my tank are 0, and the ammonia is 0 as well, he doesnt look sick or anything, he is okay, i have had it for more than a month now, ever since i brought it home, he refused to eat, but now he is since he has acclimated to the new aquarium. Needlefish are straight piscivorous fish, why am i feeding it goldfish?? i dont have another alternative, he refuses to eat the crickets, as well as shrimp because they all go hide under something, and guppys are too fast for him, I didn't mean to make you throw up with my description, I just typed it, because im not sensitive to that, is not like I can't stand watching a python eating a deer, but if you think Im feeding it for the heck of it because I have issues, you are wrong, if this fish could eat the normal freeze dried foods I wouldnt feed it goldfish, what I am planning to do, is to later on starve him to the point where he eats the freeze dried food, which he probably won't but is worth a try, I really love the needlefish not because it eats fish, it looks like a gar thats why okay? yes i knew goldfish carry parasites and stuff, i knew that ever since i bought my first fish, btw the goldfish i have are quarantined, and i do not feed them everyday, besides most parasites get killed inside its belly, but if the goldfish are the only thing he will eat, then im sticking with it.

Well then, Sir ;), I'm afraid you are misinformed.

Quarantining the feeder fish inst going to remove thaiminase.

If ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0, there is most likely an issue.

Do you have lot's of live plants? How old is your test kit (also what type and brand is is it, and what are the lot numbers?)? What kind of filtration set-up are you using?

You haven't bothered to mention what species you own also.

Freeze dried food isnt great.

Try starving him onto frozen, then you will have the better success.

Most reactions

Back