What is the maximum for me??

skimpy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Overstocking is not just about having good water, you know. Compatability and physical space also comes into it.
Many of the fish you have do not produce much waste so it's no surprise that your levels are ok.
I also don't think your tanks are overstocked. I don't believe in the inch per gallon rule.

Sorry to be asking the question so many people ask :/ but having read another thread (quote as above), i realise that it is not, how many fish you have, as much as size, where they swim, what effect they have on parameters etc. etc. etc. :kana:

So with 9 guppy, 5 molly, 4 platy, one oto, one bristlenose would I be overstocked or could anymore fish be added, if yes what type. I do 28% water change every week in a 70 litre tank (jewel) and the tank contains 6 live plants.

(p.s. I know that Oto's prefer to be with other Oto's but when I bought him I bought 2 together, one died within a couple of hours. The lfs then replaced the one that died, and he also died within a couple of hours. I did not have the heart to try again and get another one)

Thanks in advance :cool:

If you are only running the std Juwel filter then I would say you are at you limit.
if you add another filter, like a bio filter or better yet, (budget allowing) an External cannister, then you could add some more smallish fish.

Thanks danio that's what I thought and yes it is a standard jewel filter.

anyone else, all varieties of opinions welcome. :cool:

Oooh, that was my quote! :D

I also think you are at the limit to be honest. What are you levels of nitrAte? Are the covered by the water change? As in, they don't rise to more they were the week before.

I think more filtration is always a plus especially seeing as *all* your fish are high waste producers :)

Oooh, that was my quote!

I also think you are at the limit to be honest. What are you levels of nitrAte? Are the covered by the water change? As in, they don't rise to more they were the week before.

My nitrate is around 15/20 after water change and can get up to 40 some weeks just before i change the water :fun:

Is it 40 before you change the water evey week? That's what I meant. As in, for examply if your water was 5 before the change one week and then 10 before the change the next week that would be overstocked and the water changes not covering the waste produced in the week.

Understand?

Is it 40 before you change the water evey week? That's what I meant. As in, for examply if your water was 5 before the change one week and then 10 before the change the next week that would be overstocked and the water changes not covering the waste produced in the week.

Understand?

Ok think I understand now, sorry. Every week it is between 20-40 before the change and appears to be 15-20 after the change. This is consistant and has not changed since cycling (it been about 7 weeks since cycling finished consistant).

Hope i've managed to answer you question more clearly this time. :-(

Most reactions

Back