i'll tell u the kind of food they eat as i vary there meals through the week
i feed them

doromin pellets
blood worm
algae waffers
flake
peas

now u know the type of food they eat can some1 help out on the amount
i should give(please dont say the 2min thing)
as i'm lost
ive looked on the internet but theres to many people
givin different answers

all my fish r below pls hlp

I feed what my fish can eat in three minutes, and then put some shrimp pellets or algae waffers for the bottom feeders to eat.

I would make sure that you put algae wafers in for the plec, or cucummber or something while its dark so he gets a chance to eat. As for the corries I would put some type of sinking pellet in the tank for them

I also don't see whats wrong with the 2-3 minute thing, anymore and I would say you are over feeding, any less, and they likely wont be getting enough. What do you want to hear?

Like the other posters I stick to the 2-3 minute rule as well. Some food always gets missed and fall to the gravel and the bottom feeders get the food as they sift around.

Well my bottom feeders DO NOT wait for the food to come to them. My loaches are always at the surface eating the food :lol:

Hi STEVIE00 :)

The reason you should limit the amount of food you feed your fish has more to do with keeping the tank clean than meeting their nutritional needs or making them feel good. Keep this in mind and you will see that it is better to give them frequent small feedings than large ones spaced far apart.

While certain carnivorous fish are an exception to this rule, the fish you have are all small fish which have tiny stomachs. In their natural habitat they eat whatever food happens to come along, whenever and wherever they find it. There is no need for them to gorge themselves at any given time and their bodies have not adapted to eating this way. By feeding them only every other day, they are probably hungry much of the time.

Another problem with infrequent large feedings is that, since they can only eat a limited amount, there will most likely be leftover food in the tank. This will spoil and pollute the water causing it to become cloudy. Harmful bacteria will feed on it and your fish are more likely to become infected. Meaty foods, such as frozen bloodworms, are particularly bad when this happens. Your corys, which live on the bottom, are especially at risk when this happens.

The best way to find out how much your fish need to eat is to spend some time watching them. You will see how much is left over when they begin to lose interest in it. If necessary, vacuum any excess away and feed a bit less next time. After a few tries you will come to know how big a pinch of flake food to put in and how much of the other foods too. An occasional pea can be a treat, but it should not be considered a basic food. For your corys, feed them a good amount of bloodworms or even better live blackworms or tubifex worms. These have the added benefit of living in the gravel if any are not eaten right away. The corys will find them and enjoy a snack at a later time. :D

I always put my fish food into the current of the filter outlets :nod: .

This way the food swiftly gets moved around the tank and down to the lower levels so everyone gets a fair feed.

IMO it's better anyways. Gives the fish something to chase around a little as they would no doubt have to do in the wild :D .

steve

thebaldranger said:
I always put my fish food into the current of the filter outlets :nod: .

This way the food swiftly gets moved around the tank and down to the lower levels so everyone gets a fair feed.

IMO it's better anyways. Gives the fish something to chase around a little as they would no doubt have to do in the wild :D .

steve
I have always done the complete opposite and tried to contain the feeding to one corner......but maybe there are some good points here

I put in a pinch or two (whatever my fingers grab when I loosley pull food out of the jar. I'm sure they would eat more if I put more in, but I like them to eat algae off the plants during the day, and if I feed more they tend not to eat the algae

Most reactions

Back