What fish is this

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tropdavid

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what fish this is.

16898607150599039544228594512827.jpg

I don’t know, it’s a long time since I kept one. They were very common in the uk in the 70s and 80s, not common at all now.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they eat snails, as they’ll eat just about anything. Make sure it gets fed though because you’ll probably only see it a few times a year (give it hiding places to sleep in during the day), but it’ll be out and about every night in the dark. They’re great scavengers.
Once they’re settled they sometimes start coming out at feeding time. If not, make sure there’s food for it at night. :)

Is the snail eating aspect a concern that this fish will harm/decimate your snails? Or is it that you want a fish that will decimate (to some degree) snails? This fish gets large, in the aquarium usually six-plus inches, but it can reach 8 inches as noted in the link ichthys posted. It needs a large tank, minimum 4-feet in length. And it can make quite an impact, I had one many, many years ago. It reminded me of a vacuum cleaner, running randomly into everything and grabbing at anything--and the mouth is very large. It will eat small fish and shrimp. It chargs around in total darkness when most other fish are "sleeping" and thus vulnerable.

I was told by the seller that these eat pest snails. Is that true?
They do like to eat snails in general but also shrimps when it comes to live food. At least, that's my experience with these fish. I got rid of them when they started to get too big. But they went to a large biotope tank a store had.

Unfortunately, the seller did not say anything about what size they would grow to and I did not find out prior to getting them. I will have to try and find them a new home as I only have a 60 litre tank.

I think they also call them "talking catfish" they make a grunting noise if you pick one up, or catch it in a net...

had both the striped & the spotted ones when I was into fish 15 years ago

Unfortunately, the seller did not say anything about what size they would grow to and I did not find out prior to getting them. I will have to try and find them a new home as I only have a 60 litre tank.
There are stores who just think of sales. There are stores that just don't know enough about those fish. And there are stores that do care to give the proper information.

I live in Eastleigh, UK. If anyone can give these 3 fish a good home and would like them please let me know.

Most reactions

Back