Water conditioner?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Platysrcool12345

Reaction score
Iā€™m about to move my fish from their 45 gallon tall to a 50 gallon auquarium. I filled the 50 gallon yesterday and ran out of water conditioner. The one I have says 7 drops per gallon and I got out about 70 drops before I ran out. I also added leaf zone (plant growth formula) to the tank. can I add my fish?(mollies,platies,Betta,pleco, and African dwarf frogs) itā€™s been sitting for 24 hours. Or is there anyway I could add stuff I have at home to the water because i canā€™t pick any up anytime soon? Thanks

Iā€™m about to move my fish from their 45 gallon tall to a 50 gallon auquarium. I filled the 50 gallon yesterday and ran out of water conditioner. The one I have says 7 drops per gallon and I got out about 70 drops before I ran out. I also added leaf zone (plant growth formula) to the tank. can I add my fish?(mollies,platies,Betta,pleco, and African dwarf frogs) itā€™s been sitting for 24 hours. Or is there anyway I could add stuff I have at home to the water because i canā€™t pick any up anytime soon? Thanks
I also did a water test. Are these peramiters good

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 67
First on the water conditioner.

Chlorine added to the tap water will dissipate out in 24 hours, so if the water authority only uses chlorine let the tank sit for 24 hours and you should be OK. However, if they also use chloramine, you need a conditioner that detoxifies chloramine as it will remain in the water and the ammonia bond can poison fish.

What conditioner are you using that takes 7 drops per gallon? A highly concentrated conditioner like API's Tap Water Conditioner only uses 1 drop per gallon for chlorine, and 2 drops per gallon for chloramine, whichever. If you do not have ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the tap water, the API Tap Water Conditioner is the best you can get. It is a bit more expensivee, but you use so very little a small bottle will last months.

Second on the test results. No problems there, nitrite and nitrate are very low or zero, hard to tell, but not a problem. The GH, KH and pH are high which means harder water. Mollies and platies being livebearers need this, so that is good. The other fish should be OK since you have had them a while so I'll leave that. The frogs would be best on their own.

Are you aware of how the nitrogen cycle works? It is worth reading this post.

No offence intended if you do but many people are told they can add fish because the parameters are ok, without realising that they won't stay ok without the neccessary bacteria to deal with ammonia and nitrites which start being produced as soon as you add fish.

Have you cycled the tank? How long has it been set up?

If the tank is not cycled, you will have no good bacteria to turn ammonia to nitrate (short version of the cycle) and ammonia will quickly build and kill all fish.

Some of these bacteria in a bottle things help cycle, but there is no magic bottle to instantly cycle.

You need good bacteria that is found in an established tank on all surfaces. That's gravel, rocks, decoration, and most importantly filter media.

I also did a water test. Are these peramiters good
Are you aware of how the nitrogen cycle works? It is worth reading this post.

No offence intended if you do but many people are told they can add fish because the parameters are ok, without realising that they won't stay ok without the neccessary bacteria to deal with ammonia and nitrites which start being produced as soon as you add fish.
Haha we wrote pretty much the same exact thing.

Have you cycled the tank? How long has it been set up?

If the tank is not cycled, you will have no good bacteria to turn ammonia to nitrate (short version of the cycle) and ammonia will quickly build and kill all fish.

Some of these bacteria in a bottle things help cycle, but there is no magic bottle to instantly cycle.

You need good bacteria that is found in an established tank on all surfaces. That's gravel, rocks, decoration, and most importantly filter media.

Iā€™m using the same sand from my auquarium, and all the decorations and plants are the same. The filter is a different one but the pads in the filter are the same from when my turtles were in the tank so I donā€™t know if that adds bacteria.

In theory, you should have an instant cycle or at least very close to it. You should test for ammonia as well....and continue to test after adding fish.

I've never kept turtles, but they can carry disease. Maybe someone else can weigh in on using the filter pad from your turtles tank.

I probably wouldn't use the same filter pad.

How tall is your tank? African dwarf frogs cant have too tall of a tank because they have a hard time swimming up to get air

If it is a tall tank you could lower the water level or use floating plants. When I had ADF I had him in a 10 gallon tank by himself with some plastic plants that went to the surface and a screen over the top of the tank just in case.

If it is a tall tank you could lower the water level or use floating plants. When I had ADF I had him in a 10 gallon tank by himself with some plastic plants that went to the surface and a screen over the top of the tank just in case.
Itā€™s a standard sized 50 gallon. The African dwarf frogs seem to be doing good they are able to make it to the surface and back

I probably wouldn't use the same filter pad.

How tall is your tank? African dwarf frogs cant have too tall of a tank because they have a hard time swimming up to get air
Itā€™s a standard 50 gallon. The dwarf frogs are doing fine they can swim up and down easily usually they use rocks in the tank to jump up

Most reactions

Back