water chems...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

silvershark

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok so i've heard that leaving your water to sit overnight will release any chlorine/chloramine, is this true and does this make the water safe to use in a tank without adding any chems?

Allowing the water to sit overnight will get rid of the chlorine but not chloramine so the answer is yes you will still need to add a water treatment but make sure it states on the bottle it removes chloramine.

I've heard both answers to this question. I've also used both ways with success. Now a days I use something to remove the chemicals (either Prime or Stress Coat), but I have filled many tanks after water changes with day old water with no problems.

My Dad was from the old school on Aquariums. The days before there was dechlorinate. He told me to get empty gal jugs and fill with water. When the bubles on the sides that form are gone u can use it in the aquarium. Only recently did i use stress coat because i liked the slime coat help for the fish. Does anyone else have any opinion as the old leave it for a few days method get rid of chlorine?

cougaran said:
My Dad was from the old school on Aquariums. The days before there was dechlorinate. He told me to get empty gal jugs and fill with water. When the bubles on the sides that form are gone u can use it in the aquarium. Only recently did i use stress coat because i liked the slime coat help for the fish. Does anyone else have any opinion as the old leave it for a few days method get rid of chlorine?
In the old days the water board didn't add chloramine which is why your Dad got away with it. Now they do and this will kill the bacteria that you have spent so long cycling the tank for :/

I looked up my water supply and of curse they add chloramines...i ran a successful cichlid tank for 2 years its a good thing there hardy, but i also think my laziness in not changing the water very frequently probably kept the biological system running. thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back