water change ???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nuttyfishgirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i removed my bogwood on sunday as it made the water brown and did a 30 % water change ... i repaeted this on monday the water is much better but not crystal ... what would be the best step to take next ... do i continue with the water changes and if so how often n how much ????

help much appreciated :unsure:

Continue to do weekly water changes and eventually all the tanins will go. Personally I like the colour the wood gives.

Did you soak and/or boil your bogwood before placing it in the tank initially? We boiled ours for 15 minutes a side, plus soaked it for 5 days before adding them to the tank.. and still got tannins (what makes the water tea coloured) released for a few months. Water changes will help clear up the water if you don't like the colour... but it will eventually go away.

I know some members actually prefer to have a bit of tannins in their water.. they like the colour and *correct me if I'm wrong* I think it can actually be good for some fish.. or at anyrate, not harmful.

:eek: Try using carbon in filter system, It will clear road tar :rofl: if needed.
Its a very good medium
But this is assuming you use external filters of a recycling filter and not under gravel filter, Which is real crap
Good luck :rolleyes:

Just do weekly water changes, it will clear up eventually.

Most reactions

Back