water change while Cycling

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

raseii

Reaction score
Hi,
I am cycling a 10 gallon tank that has two swordtails in it. I know, I know, I didnt read about the fishless cycling until today when I was looking for information. Anyways, I have a question regarding the water changes while I am cycling the tank. I have done two 10% water changes since I started the tank last week by just removing the water with a cup. I am wondering if I should be using the gravel vac periodically? I am afraid I will be removing what beneficial bacteria I get if I use the vac too often. What should I be doing?
Thanks

Shouldn't do gravel vacts till the tank has cycled, buy some test kits, or buy tetra strips they have all the tests on them for nitrite,nitrate,and ph, they tell you then when to do a water change, I would add a tablespoon of salt to the tank while you are cycling.

Thank you for the information. I have bought some test kits and have been testing it. Also, about the salt... are you talking about just regular kitchen salt? and can I add that directly to the take or mix it with declorinated water outside the tank before adding it?
Thanks agian

Should be fine house salt ok in small doses, just get some tank water and mix one tablespoon into about one gallon of water, good luck.

I would suggest getting liquid test kits rather than strips. they are much more accurate. I'm not sure where you are or what is available but I got a Master Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceutical from Petsmart for about $15. It has sests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and high pH. Here is alink to their online kits:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1110769856112

Hi raseii :)

Welcome to the forum! :flowers:

It's always good to keep your tank clean, even during the beginning while it is cycling. The beneficial bacteria are not in the fish wastes and uneaten food that accumulate at the bottom, and they are not free floating in the water. They are clinging to the surfaces of your filter media, gravel, glass, plants and other decorations.

By removing them and doing frequent water changes you protect your fish from unnecessary stress and this will go a long way toward keeping them healthy during the process. The only thing that might happen if you remove too much water during changes is that the cycle will slow down. This is not a bad thing at all since a slow cycle is safer for the fish than a fast and harsh one.

I see no reason to ever add salt to a tank unless it is to cure specific illnesses such as ich, or if you have fish that require brackish water. It will do nothing to benefit the cultivation of beneficial bacteria and it will actually be harmful to catfish and loaches should you decide to add them.

Most reactions

Back