Washing new substrate pebbles

Yes, I would use a mix of stratum and a good part of sand, you can always add a little more when it depletes.

To be able to create a strategy, it would be good to have a couple pics of the tank and how accessible your current substrate is.

I would remove the current substrate by slowly scooping it out and replacing it by patches, at each water changes. thoroughly vacuum the area your going to scoop and replace it immediately with the new mix.

Don't worry too much about remaining bits, they are part of the history of the tank that's all.

It really depends on your plant setup at this point.
Thank you. I have one plant. So sand- how fine? Do sands have names of what creature it can be used for?

Does Colin still post? He's very smart , but if one appears dumb or- he'll say it. 🤣
just kidding, Colin 😬

here's an acronym for Colin
WWCS what would Colin say.
Again with all due respect Colin😬😉😊

an acronym for Colin
WWCS what would Colin say.
Again with all due respect Colin😬😉😊
Probably get those posts removed. Happened once when i started - no posts except for fisf 😦

Thank you. I have one plant. So sand- how fine? Do sands have names of what creature it can be used for?
This what i bought. Small World sand. The assurance. that it's natural no coatngs.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.png
    IMG_1122.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi
I bought black aquarium pebbles. I read black is what shrimp are used to in the wild.🤷‍♀️
( i also read that parrots should eat a commercial seed diet- wrong- so much for browsing internet. 🙄)
When it arrived pkg. said they could be used with glo fish. I definitely don't buy glo fish.
What is the best way to prepare them for the shrimp tank?
When I buy new sand, gravel or stones, I always rinse it before using it. But I won't rinse it if they came from another tank of mine.

I would go with something that is not too fine, so it does not remain suspended in water. 0.5 to 1 mm smooth sand is good.

I would go with something that is not too fine, so it does not remain suspended in water. 0.5 to 1 mm smooth sand is good.
Thanks. I that ended up buying the stuff below. It was one of the only ones that clearly stated no coating. And in my price range. It's sad that there are so many accessories for Glo fish. It's a trend but i would guess people buying the actual fish aren't aware of this unnatural and probably not good for the fish. I don't have all the facts on it, but this fish forum says it's wrong. I trust the people in this website.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.png
    IMG_1122.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 1
Not knowing better, I had coated gravel in my first tank and it was atrocious when it started to peel.

BTW. Your color choice is perfect 👍

stratum breaks down over time though, just plain black sand would work just as well too, plus shrimp love picking through the small grains and sand to find food :)

Stratum has the nutrients you need for planting a tank so you don't need root tabs for awhile. I'm lazy and don't wanna deal with sand and root tabs

I ordered Fluval stratum. Now the question i have is when to how change/ add the new substrate. ?i will have 2 year old shrimp, new shrimp i've had for 2, and new shrimp coming next week. Thanks for your help again.

You can cap your stratum with the sand

Stratum has the nutrients you need for planting a tank so you don't need root tabs for awhile. I'm lazy and don't wanna deal with sand and root tabs
i’m aware of that but after some time those nutrients are going to be depleted and then you’re left with just really expensive, normal substrate lol

Most reactions

Back