Vallisneria Seems To Be Melting

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well one needs to know and normally reads the instructions found on the tin as it were, in this case it does not do exactly what it says on the label Any thoughts on Carbo Plus by Plant Care?

Carbo plus, excel, easy carbo are all basically the same thing

Vallis often melts when first added to a tank. Just cut any dying leaves back to the base and it will regrow in no time. It can be temperamental.

Also, yes it is sensitive to liquid carbon but once you get the dosing right it'll be fine. For starters, not all liquid carbon is created equal. I use the TNC carbon daily in my tank with no problem just never over dose or let it touch the Vallis directly (add it into the flow of your filter to distribute it quickly). Excel seems to be a bit more potent than others so I would avoid it with vallis - I've had trouble with it myself.

Sorry no it not. Thought carbo plus was somethin else

"never over dose or let it touch the Vallis directly (add it into the flow of your filter to distribute it quickly). Excel seems to be a bit more potent than others so I would avoid it with vallis - I've had trouble with it myself."

This is being incredibly anal. Iv known people to use excel at 5x recommended dosage with no problems so it cant be that potent! Not that i would recommend to anyone to use that much!
Its all about starting off dosing small and slowly increasing. Its that simple.
If thats followed, vallis will be fine. Why is this so hard to believe?

Thanks folks for the information.  I can't dose Excel daily in the summer, so I won't be dosing at all if I have to dose it daily.

I'll let the vallis settle in a bit more then...  I was expecting that the cabomba would melt rather than the vallis, but they still look great!  Kind of surprised by that, to be honest.  I'll look into trimming it back in a day or so if it gets any worse.  Thanks.

Lol eh ok dude, because your experience is the only viable one? I didn't just pull all that out my backside ya know.

My vallis melted with excel at normal doses and has melted with Tnc when I increased my dose for a few days by just .5ml in a 180l tank (after using it for several months with no problem).

What all of this means, your experience and mine, is it's about finding the right dose for your tank.

I think if you just give it some time eagles, it will bounce back. mine took about a week, but i use ferts, so it will probably take a little longer. Check your ammonia levels though, bc all the melty schmelty gave my tank a bit of a spike ;)

The info I've read about most plants is that they'd take up ammonia instead of nitrAte if ammonia is present so during a cycle lack of nitrates shouldn't be that much of an issue.
As for vallis, it's one of the plants that can use organic carbon(different from dissolved carbon). Organic carbon is higher the harder the water is.
So if you've got naturally soft water, vallis may not do so well without CO2 of some sort but gets negatively affected by liquid one because it gets affected the same way as algae does.
Figure out what your water is and then get plants suited for the water. Hard water plants won't do well in soft water without artificial CO2 and they also are not suited due to the lower mineral content and higher metal content. Soft water plants will do fine and even very well in hard water because of the abundance of minerals, but they'd need CO2 of some sort because most of them are not adapted to use organic carbon and dissolved carbon is limited in a non-injected tank.

Most reactions

Back