Using River Sand As Substrate

scubadoo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been considering using river sand (which I can source locally from streams & lakes).

I know that it would need quite a bit of cleaning and probably boiling to ensure that any living organisms were removed, but are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this ?

I suppose that the sand wouldn't be graded in the same way as it would if you buy it in a bag, and will probably include all sizes from very fine to say 4-5mm dia. Given that it is river sand though, the particles should be well eroded and nicely rounded - so not too sharp.

I just think it could look really nice as it is basically a very pale grey colour with a bit of variation, and should look very natural.

Any thoughts welcomed.

scuba

i`ve managed to get a very natural look simply using play sand vaious stones from 2-3 cm to fist sized ones and a hand full or two of gravel,

i would be very wary of bringing stuff from rivers or lakes as you don`t know what chemicals are in the sand,

Ok - thanks for that Ian.

I guess it'll save me having to go out with a spade :)

and the mrs will be happier if I'm not boiling loads of sand in the kitchen :good:

Most reactions

Back