Upside down cat fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Adrinal

4k gallons and growing!
Reaction score
I used to always want Upsidedown catfish... which I understand are top feeders?

I haven't seen any in stores for a long time...
Am I just getting old and spending too much time in the cichlid and SW sections of the store? Or did the practice change and they were deemed uncool, or unfit or somthing?

I remember them being in my fish for noob books all the time.

Where are those cute little critters?

Deffinately not as popular as once - maybe due to alot of miss-selling of the wrong species :/

:)

I have 2 of them. One big and one small. I haven't found them to be top feeders at all, bottom actually.

:blink:

I a not sure about the different species, I know there are false ones. The 2 I have look quite different from each other although the are always upside down. The bigger one is much paler in colour while the small one is almost black!

:dunno:

I see them in most all the stores here, even at Petco. I thought they fed off the bottom of leaves etc. as opposed to top feeders.

I see them all the time at my walmart. I bought one and I agree, they are not top feeders. Mine stays down on the bottom of the tank to feed. He stays hidden most of the time while the tank lights are on, but will come out once in a while when I'm not right around the tank or feeding times. Hes pretty cool tho. I like him.

I have three. They eat off the bottom 99% of the time. Every now and then I will see one up at the top skimming the surface eating flakes though. They are very neat fish to watch. :nod: I think they are very cool! I got two of mine from a LFS and one from Wal-Mart. I have noticed them disappearing at the LFS lately to. Wal-Mart still has a good amount of them though.

I have a small group of them and Adrinal is right in the right enviroment they are primarily surface feeders. To be comfortable enough to feed from the surface they need large ammounts of broad leaved surface covering plants which they will swim beneath in their inverted manner to feed on flakes and air breathing larvae such as black mosquito larvae and glass worm which get trapped beneath the leaves. If there is active middle and surface dwellers in the tank or if the primary food fed is of a sinking variety they will switch to bottom feeding.

Oh my goodness, are you talking about African lace cave cats???? I have not seen them in years. Never at Walmart or Petco! I have an old one, feeds on the bottom only. Really, they have them there??? Glee

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back