Unusual Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

f111shy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey guys,

Ive got some plants from a friend god knows what they are and they've got algae growing on them, but once it gets to a little tuft it drops off the plant and is growing in a ball on the sand ? the other type of algae is black and covering another one of my plants. can it be cured or do i just get new plants all together ?

Karl.

The first ones abit wierd sounds like a Marino moss balls but if it's growing on the plants to start with that's wierd so pictures would be good :blink:

and the second sounds like black beard Algea (which is a sod to get rid of so if it's just a small bit I'd remove it and as long as you have good lighting, flow and water quality it shouldn't return ) :good:

http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj614/karloskeelos/?action=view&current=DSCF3004.jpg

heres the link to one of the photos hope you can help

Karl.

Hmm I'm sorry but I have no clue :blink:

Hopefully someone else can help you :good:

if you got algae problems, the first thing you need to to is limit the lighting to only what is needed by your plants. lower the ph a little at a time daily. do not overfeed( anything not eaten by the fish eventually becomes a food source for algae).during this process, you will need to do some water changes, because as the algae dies it will be another food source for more algae. and if it be possible, try to add fish that will feed on it. you can use blackwater extract to lower the ph. a low ph detours the growth of algae, makes your fish tougher, and your tank much easier to maintain.

ok so how do i get hold of blackwater extract?
and i have some oto's at the moment but they havent done much damage to the algae it really is spreading fast though :/ cant i buy that green away product or will this kill all the plants aswell?

Karl.

any decent fish store should have it, though you may have to ask for it to find where they keep it. 2 of the brands are tetra and kent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back