Unexpected Pm

update - got a fluval 4 and a 300w heater and a new light today just fitted it am adding water day by day, the tank is on my lounge floor til i make a stand for it to go in my room. its a slow process its about 2/3 full now

b3094b59.jpg

85589c80.jpg

6ad43747.jpg

Untitled-2copy.jpg

Gareth the tank is looking great. The rocks and sand coupled with the low light intensity of a single tube gives it a very natural looking effect. :good:

Tips: I know you are still in the process of setting it up, but these are some ideas that I would carry out if it was my tank (in the future, sort of food for thought stuff).

Move both internal filters to the back of the tank and build up the rock to try and hide them.

Is there a hood for the tank? If there isn't I would think about constructing one. The main reason for this is, dust and other airborne particles! I have left the cover of my tank open for a couple of days before and when I got back there was a thin layer of dust on the surface. Although it most likely causes no ill effects to the fish, it catches light on the surface and makes the water surface very visible when viewing the tank. It could also be that my house is particularly dusty!!!!!!

Maybe a background?

Just another question for people in general!
Due to the fairly grand size of the tank and the large volume of open water (swimming area) at the top. Would this be a suitable situation to include a small species of peacock into the tank?

Something like these for instance?

Aulonocara maylandi
Aulonocara stuartgranti "German Red"
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara)

I am aware that there is a difference in dietary requirements but would there be enough room in such a tank setup to facilitate this type of species mix? Just thought I would throw this question out there?

painting the background black i like it simple.going to build a lid and a stand for it wil have to get my diy dad on this one.n yes will hide the filters etc but im only keeping it like this until i make my stand and then its going in my room

The Aulonocara question is a good one tanks but the answer is very dependant on the mbuna being stocked. Anything moderately aggressive like Johanni, Greshakei and i would say no. I have tried this on several occasions, including a 90 gal tank and every time, i've had to return the Peacocks due to aggression.

The safe/sensible answer is only go for it if you are keeping species like labs and acei.

Do we have a stock list anywhere for fiestaWRS?

FERRIS, ITS ONLY PERSONAL PREFERANCE TO TAKE TIME IN FILLING THE TANK, AS HIS OLD TANK WOULD PROBABLY ONLY FILL A 1/4 OF THE LARGE TANK, IF THAT, it was more to prevent osmosis shock. his tank will more than likely have to re-cycle again so he will suffer the nitrites and nitrites anyway. its like adding a sink full of cycled water to a bath full of tap water. I feel by doing it slowly, he is only slowly altering the water parameters and giving the fish more of a chance to adjust. does this explain and sorry caps lock was on (not shouting)

I advised fiesta to add a trio of peacocks when he was at my home, as he will vouch for mine, they are in with full grown mbuna, and they are perfectly happy and in very good shape!!!

hiding the fluval behind the rock may be a problem, as that tank has large strengthening bars, and as you know the fluval pulls out from the bottom. because your filtration is not all that big you will probably have to clean it more, especialy as your mbuna grow. do you realy want to dismantle your rock every time you want to clean the filter?

I bet you are looking foreward to having to strip down your tank again to move it onto a stand?

sorry caps lock was on (not shouting)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I still don't follow, the bacteria is in the filter, not the water so more water = less ammonia etc regardless of cycling.

Anyway who cares, its 5:30 and i'm going home. Yipee :hyper:

IMHO, The fluval 3 holds very little in the way of bacteria, especialy to deal with a 70 uk gallon tank, so I personaly felt his fish would cope better if he gradualy filled it up as apposed to do it all in one go. Its only a suggestion and a method I would use, probably why my fish dont suffer illness or disease. and lets be honest, there seems to be folk suffering similar problems recently, who have all just started up.
no offence to anyone, just hoping to help fiesta avoid these dilemas.

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

no offence to anyone, just hoping to help fiesta avoid these dilemas

Spot on m8, thats the main thing. :)

New Update And New Camera!!!!! Mum got the Samsung S600 today so thought i'd give it a try.filled it up more now heres my fish looking happy :D

7f07feff.jpg

Untitled-1copy.jpg

S6000009.jpg

S6000011.jpg

S6000015.jpg

S6000016.jpg

Looking good, very nice. :good:

Most reactions

Back