Under Gravel Filter Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benee

Reaction score
i was given a 44 gallon pentagon tank and came with a under gravel filter powerhead and a h.o.b. filter. right now i have 3 danios and 3 corys cycling the tank for 2 weeks. the hang on the back filter i just have a cartridge in it was wondering if i should get a new hang on the back filter with a bio wheel and use the under gravel filter also. and if the power goes out how long can bacteria live on the gravel i was given a bunch of l.f.s. gravel to start my cycle and when i did a water change and vacuumed i miighta had the filters unplugged for 30 minutes i dont like having all the junk in the gravel because when i vacuum it makes the water alittle cloudy and can never completley clean the gravel. i see alot of people dont like ugfs

The bacteria will be fine after 30 minutes; I think it’s after about an hour that the bacteria begin to die off. On an undergravel filter they would have more access to oxygen than in a box filter. New aquariums tend to be a little cloudy. Undergravel filters used to be almost standard, they are very effective as biological filters, they need to be kept clean as if they clog up they are less effective, as long as the water can pass through the gravel they work fine. They are not good for plants, and they keep the dirt in the substrate which are among the reasons for them being less popular. Plants that get most of their nutrients from the water, like java ferns grow fine with undergravel filters. To keep the water clear you could use filter floss in hang on filter in there is room in it.

Welcome to this excellent site, feel free to ask any questions.

Liam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back