Tropical Fish Charities - Feedback Wanted

alisonfishfanatic

Reaction score
Good Afternoon!

I am currently looking into setting up a (non profit making) charity, initially on a local basis (North Wales), dedicated to tropical fish welfare - promoting responsible fish keeping, adequate tank sizing, proper techniques etc..

I have been appalled over the years I have been involved in the hobby by the way tropical fish are treated as "disposable pets"; if you kill one you buy another due to their low cost, the irresponsible way LFS often seem to encourage overstocking to generate money; the inappropriate selections made by people with no regard to fish diet or potential size. The fact is that fish are first and foremost living creatures not ornaments!
I have heard horror stories about LFS selling Clownfish to go into goldfish bowls after the "Finding Nemo" movie.

My thoughts are to provide local training courses, free online training & exams, speaking to local schools, working with reputable LFS.

Has anyone come across similar organisations? From what I have been told the RSPCA will not touch complaints relating to fish welfare.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone any ideas on what such an organization could do?

An interesting concept.

I know that there are some shocking stories around based on the treatment of fish and their 'disposability', centred mainly around large chain stores that have fish departments tacked on.
The majority of (what I would call real) Local Fish Store's I have come across are privately owned and run by genuine enthusiasts who are as concerned with the welfare of the fish as much as making a profit. I know of a couple who only just break even.

As for existing organisations, the one that springs to mind is the OATA (Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association) here, Pratical Fishkeeping Magazine has it Dyed Fish Pledge and further afield there is the CITES agreement. As far as I know, all the above and presumably other schemes are all optional, and rely on the good will of the retailer to join.

As for spreading knowledge, I would say word of mouth is by far the best way. On this forum over the years there has been many debates on the suitability of various establishments to selling aquatic livestock. Many names come up again and again and a lot of people vow never to visit them again. The thing is, money speaks and for someone just starting out in the hobby, without researching you are going to look to the first, cheapest place you may come across.

I would be genuinely interested to hear how your idea progresses though, so please report back!

nice idea.

i think there are two main types of people who harm fish

1. people who have no experiance-they dont know about the nitrogen cycle. they may well grossly overstock tanks with fish. they dont know how to maintain a tank.

2. people who know these things but dont do them-

you cant effect group 2. but you can teach group 1.

when lfs's (or anywhere else) sell fish tanks they should give out a factsheet(should be made law to give this information) with the basics of fishkeeping on it. it would only need to be 2 pages long and could save a lot of fishes lives.

Most reactions

Back