Tons Of Questions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wouldn't test for nitrate until after the nitrite starts to build up. No need to waste your test kit on something that won't show up for several weeks. Patience is the key now.

How will I know there's nitrite?

And is it oka y to add plants during cycling? Live plants?
& correct me if I'm wrong, but normal decorations won't harm cycling will they?

How will I know there's nitrite?
Once you've seen your ammonia drop you can start testing for nitrite.

And is it oka y to add plants during cycling? Live plants?
& correct me if I'm wrong, but normal decorations won't harm cycling will they?
Normal decor, like rocks and wood won't affect your cycle, but we don't recommend you add plants yet. The reason being that if you have plants in, you'll need to light the tank, and light + ammonia = algae.

Yes, there's no need to have it on. We only light tanks to be able to see the fish, and to grow plants; if you have no fish and no plants, you're just wasting electricity and encouraging algae growth.

Yes, there's no need to have it on. We only light tanks to be able to see the fish, and to grow plants; if you have no fish and no plants, you're just wasting electricity and encouraging algae growth.

Well then.. looks like I learn something new everyday on here!

When I start my cycle log on here, what should I put in there? Ammonia and nitrite?

At the top include:

Tank size, filter running...

Tap water conditions after sitting out for 24 hours dechlorinated (pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - include hardness information if you have access to that information)

Tank conditions:
Date: temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate - dose amount added (if added)

It should look something like this:

50 gallon tank, eheim 504

Tap water: pH 7.2, ammonia (NH3) 0, nitrite (NO2) 0, nitrate (NO3) 10.

Tank conditions: Ammonia dose for 5ppm (15mL)

Date ------temp------pH-----NH3-----NO2----NO3----dosed tank after testing
11/24/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 --- 5ppm --- 0ppm -- 10ppm --- no dose.
11/25/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 ---- 4 ------- 0 ------10 ------ no dose.
12/1/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 ---- 0 ------- 2 ------ 12 ------ dose back to 5ppm.
12/2/11 -- 84F ------ 6.2 ---- 0 ------- 5+ ----- 30 ----- dose back to 5ppm (added sodium bicarb to raise pH)
12/15/11 -- 84F ------ 8.0 ---- 0 ------- 0 ------ 80 ----- dose back to 5ppm (started 12 hour testing)

That will help folks read your data and direct you. The less clutter you have the easier it will be to read the trends. If you can keep everything lined up and one line after another the better it will be for folks to read and advice as necessary. Primarily though, you will just be testing and dosing daily for the vast majority of the time, updating your log with no real need for you to take a single step to "correct" anything. Occasionally something may come up. The cycle might stall or you might see some other anomaly and you might need to complete a water change. Or you might THINK there is an anomaly and think you need to take action. Just post here and folks will help you sort it out. With a fishless cycle there is no need to panic EVER. That's probably the single greatest benefit of the fishless cycle. If you don't act immediately, you aren't harming anything. It might take just a little longer to cycle but in the grand scheme of things what is a few extra days compared to the amount of time you plan to keep fish?

At the top include:

Tank size, filter running...

Tap water conditions after sitting out for 24 hours dechlorinated (pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - include hardness information if you have access to that information)

Tank conditions:
Date: temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate - dose amount added (if added)

It should look something like this:

50 gallon tank, eheim 504

Tap water: pH 7.2, ammonia (NH3) 0, nitrite (NO2) 0, nitrate (NO3) 10.

Tank conditions: Ammonia dose for 5ppm (15mL)

Date ------temp------pH-----NH3-----NO2----NO3----dosed tank after testing
11/24/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 --- 5ppm --- 0ppm -- 10ppm --- no dose.
11/25/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 ---- 4 ------- 0 ------10 ------ no dose.
12/1/11 -- 84F ------ 7.2 ---- 0 ------- 2 ------ 12 ------ dose back to 5ppm.
12/2/11 -- 84F ------ 6.2 ---- 0 ------- 5+ ----- 30 ----- dose back to 5ppm (added sodium bicarb to raise pH)
12/15/11 -- 84F ------ 8.0 ---- 0 ------- 0 ------ 80 ----- dose back to 5ppm (started 12 hour testing)

That will help folks read your data and direct you. The less clutter you have the easier it will be to read the trends. If you can keep everything lined up and one line after another the better it will be for folks to read and advice as necessary. Primarily though, you will just be testing and dosing daily for the vast majority of the time, updating your log with no real need for you to take a single step to "correct" anything. Occasionally something may come up. The cycle might stall or you might see some other anomaly and you might need to complete a water change. Or you might THINK there is an anomaly and think you need to take action. Just post here and folks will help you sort it out. With a fishless cycle there is no need to panic EVER. That's probably the single greatest benefit of the fishless cycle. If you don't act immediately, you aren't harming anything. It might take just a little longer to cycle but in the grand scheme of things what is a few extra days compared to the amount of time you plan to keep fish?

Idk what you mean by "Tap water conditions after sitting out for 24 hours dechlorinated"

Test your tap water after you dechlorinate it and it sits at room temperature for 24 hours to gas off. (Tap water has a lot of gas in it in the pipes, but when left to sit out, it will lose those gasses. These trapped gases, like CO2, can lower the pH. So, taking an immediate reading isn't that accurate all the time. Meanwhile, if you let it sit for 24 hours, that will be more in line with what the pH ACTUALLY is. (It is just good to know for baseline data.)

You can, but it won't really give you a full picture. It would be better to wait 24 hours to allow the gasses to escape.

Well the tap water has been sitting for about 24 hours.. but I just added dechlorinator

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back