Tiger Shovelnose Hybrid

Poor thing in a 125 gallon tank!
Bet it never sees anything bigger like MOST don't!

My Ex felt the need to buy a RTC x TS at 1" for £8.00.... just because he could....

It grew from 1" to 8" in a year and it took forever to even get it feeding properly. TBH it would have been kinder for me to euthanise the poor fish when I left my ex but I just couldnt do it... I dread to think what its like now... though i doubt its still alive after a year! Its a lovely fish i guess... but an apalling hybrid of two species that shouldnt be in the pet trade...

I've had people say to me 'the worst thing in the aquatics trade is the RTC'... IMO the only thing worse than a Red Tail Catfish is one hybridised with something even bigger! :no:

One of those species i think should be banned from import into the country... they are gorgeous fish but even the very few people that can 'fit them in' to the tropical ponds... dont tend to house them properly because by the time you have a tropical pond... its a fairly sterile environment and nothing but a tropical dumping ground for over sized fish. Large tanks and trop ponds seem to get over stocked faster than your average community tank i think!

Imo your tank was over stocked when you bought the pacus. When I worked in a lfs I took care of trade-ins, most common were pacus over 15" and oscars over a foot. Rtc's over a foot were common too. Throw in those three plus your 18" potential pleco and the jd that tank is way beyond capacity. Your water is very cloudy even with all that filtration. I'll get off my soap box now.

Most reactions

Back