Thinking of a pygmy rainbowfish (M. pygmaea) tank

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
An idea struck my mind; I was thinking of a 92 x 36 x 42cm (139.1L) Aqua One Horizon tank only for pygmy rainbowfish from the Kimberley area of Western Australia. So I did a concept aquascape on what it might look like. A small amount of plants (not a planted tank) and lots of outback red rocks are the aquascape of this tank. I was thinking if my LFS in O'Connor sell them currently. If they're not sold yet, I'll wait for it to be shipped to the store. Here is the aquascape:
Screenshot (1362).png

And the stocking calculator for the rainbowfish (10 fish):
AquStockImage (2).png

Water is key. You need movement, both within the tank, and with regular weekly water changes. Have you been able to manage that with your neons?

Water is key. You need movement, both within the tank, and with regular weekly water changes. Have you been able to manage that with your neons?
Hi @GaryE They're cardinals, and yes, I have managed to do that last week. A future water change will be next Saturday.

Now for the future rainbowfish tank, what do you think of it?

10 pygmy rainbowfish will be fine in a 3ft tank. Have more plants on the side and along the back. Try to get 4 males and 6 females. Have a cover on the tank to stop them jumping out. Look after them and they will scatter eggs in plants or spawning mops every day for months.

Dave at Aquagreen has them for sale.

10 pygmy rainbowfish will be fine in a 3ft tank. Have more plants on the side and along the back. Try to get 4 males and 6 females. Have a cover on the tank to stop them jumping out. Look after them and they will scatter eggs in plants or spawning mops every day for months.

Dave at Aquagreen has them for sale.

Yes, that would be a great idea. I'll be ready for a bigger aquarium soon.

Most reactions

Back