The Occurrence of Squamous cell carcinoma in X Hellerii.

Googler

Reaction score
Greetings all.
I am from Trinidad. I recently crossed the black Hellerii and a hi-fin lyre tailed Red wag Hellerii. Few of the juveniles grew these black globular patches. Not quite sure but I found this article online and the images there appear similar.

Any ideas on cure or cull? I can send pics if anyone request.
Mr. Jarvis.
IMG_4900.png
IMG_4898.png

Last edited:
Hello 👋🏻

Yes please, do post photos to this thread for all to have a look at

I bred X montezumae for many generations, and cancer was an issue. That looks very familiar, and there is no treatment for them.

The cancerous black areas always appeared flat and non reflective. There can be black pigment as well, but it doesn't have the same flat, matte colouration. All black swordtail lines have real problems.

@emeraldking is the resident livebearer person for these things.

It looks like melanoma. Swordtails and platies with a very dense concentration of melanophores can develop this kind of cancer. And basically, there's no cure. It's very unfortunate to say but this is the reality. And what Gary has already stated, it's more present in matte dark coloration. Because when it's metallic, besides the melanophores there are also iridophores which makes the process slow down a bit. But with or without iridophores, a too dense concentration of melanophores can still develop cancer.

Have a look around this site. It exists. in part,s because those spots make these fish critical for cancer research.
https://www.xiphophorus.txst.edu/

"The Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center (XSGC) was originally established in the early 1930’s by Dr. Myron Gordon at Cornell University following several collecting trips to Mexico and Central America. There, he collected fish to determine if Xiphophorus from natural populations could develop pigment cell abnormalities or whether the observed melanoma was a consequence of hybridization between domesticated platyfish and swordtails....."

"
The Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center currently houses 24 of 26 species of the freshwater genus Xiphophorus. In their natural environment, these fishes live in drainages in eastern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and Honduras, with most of the described species living in Mexico. The taxa make up three groups: the Northern Swordtails, the Southern Swordtails, and the Platyfish.
The purpose of this site is to provide information to both the research community and the general public about the Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center. As a national resource for research animals, we welcome opportunities to share fish with the research community for further research, development, and application."

These fish are used in cancer research, They have lines that have existed for years and which have been bred such that the fish today are genetically identical to the ones they have provided for decades. In order for the research to be meaningful, it is import that the researchers are able to work with genetically identical fish. The pigmentation is the key.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back