The Black Lagoon- Se Asian 'biotope'

gubbins006.jpg

I can't see if the photo is any good, the sun is shining right onto the screen. Meh.

No luck on the fish. Tempted by sparkling gouramis, but they were far too small. The betta could probably eat them. Same with the microrasboras they had.

I'll go into P@H and get a background this week, the shop today didn't have anything 15" high, and there was no way of measuring the length either.

Love the moss growing on the bogwood, almost looks like an aquatic bonsai tree!
good.gif

Hrm. The BGA is back with a vengance, and it's puzzling me.

See the photo? The next morning, the wood had a big thick layer on it (primarily where I'd just attatched new moss). Some forming around the substrate too. Currently all over the moss.

So, why? Looking at the pinned topics, possible causes given as-

Often caused by very low nitrates- Well. Possibly? I dunno. Bioload is pretty low at the moment, plus with all that moss...

Dirty substrates and filters may also bring it on- it shouldn't be dirty...

Poor water circulation is another possible cause- Perhaps. But I do have a U3 in there, which isn't exactly miniature.

Excess organic loading is the real cause in many cases- Erm... Not AFAIK...

I admit I've been a bit lax with the carbon lately, but since it appeared even before then, I wouldn't put that down as a real factor.

Well, anyway. Assuming I'm not being abandoned by parents over the weekend, I'll possibly try a different shop for fish.

Still awful. Mern. Pulling out as much as I can when I get the chance, but with much busyness I haven't had time to do anything much.

I'll stick in yet another filter, reduce the photoperiod by another couple of hours, but I really can't think of anything else I can do about it.

Sadly I no longer have the betta. No idea what was wrong with it, just sat under the filter for a few days then died. Pretty miffed, obviously, but I suppose at least it means I no longer have to worry about small fish/other betta species.

And since he's been gone, the cupanus have started bubblenesting. I don't know which one of the males it is, and the female doesn't seem especially bothered, but the nest really was rather impressive. Once I've worked out which one it is, I might either take out the non-nester or transfer the pair to another tank. It does somewhat bum up the plans to get more fish though.

Most reactions

Back