Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

georgia

Reaction score
I have the following fish so far in a 125 lit aqaurium. (shown below on profile)

I wanted to finish my collection with one Siamese Fighting fish and some tetras. How many tetras are a good idea? and also can you mix different tetra species or are they best as one species? Was thinking 6 Neons and 6 Cardianal? any advice ???

You can mix most tetra's without any problems, I have some Serpae and Phantom tetra's in my community tank which combine nicely. Cardinals are fantastic though, I'd go for a larger shoal of them and forget the neons, when the 2 are together, neons look a bit lame. I'd think carefully about your fighting fish as well, if you have any sort of current in the tank, it will probably get finrot. I tried on a couple of occasions and the betta in each case never had a problem with the other fish but i lost one and had to re house the other in a tank with no filter flow/current.

I have a 297 litre tank and I have mollies, platies, guppies. I was told by my lfs that if I added 1 male fighter fish I would be ok because of the size of the tank.

How wrong they were, next morning I came downstairs and witnessed my 6th guppy being attacked by the figher fish. The other 5 guppies were unfortunatley dead. :(

Bettas don't mix with guppies or gouramies.

You should add another female platy.
I'd also add another couple of cories.

Any tetras you choose must not be likely to nip or be eaten by the RTBS once it gets big. I'd suggest black phantom tetras. Cardinals could work but I'm not certain neons is a good idea (in case the shark eats them). I wouldn't get anything like black widow/skirts, serpae, buenos aires etc because they will nip your guppies and possibly your gouramies' feelers. An excellent schooling fish is the harlequin rasbora. A group of 6 of these would make nice additions. The RTBS might eventualy prove to be much too aggressive for your guppies as well.

Having added the tetras/schooling fish, you will be slightly over-stocked and should watch your water levels and keep up with maintainance. Keep in mind that mollies get to 4" and RTBSs to 6" and most cories to 3" as many people under-estimate their potential sizes.

sylvia said:
You should add another female platy.
I'd also add another couple of cories.
after much research, we are going to avoid a betta.... Our LFS really has told us a lot of bad advice! anyway, why do you think we should add another female platy and more cories??

Do people think that neons are not a good idea? I really would like a nice school of fish?? shoudl I get 6 cardinals or mix tetras?

OOI can you mix different types of tetras to make a school? IE, can I have, say 3 black widows and 3 black skirts? I probably won't, but its a kind of final back up plan if the shop near me doesn't do black widows and the far away one only has a few.

im still confused about what Tetras to put in, the LFS says 10 neons, the same that said a Betta would go well in the tank!! Im aware that may be slightly over crowded, but now thinking maybe another species.... ideas?? confused, and getting too much different advice????????

serpae tetras can be really nippy, I had some in a community tank, and they ruled the roost. They had all the fish pinned down into corners of the tank, especially the betta I had.

It was really weird they were like wee piranhas, you could see all four of them sitting in the middle of the tank and as soon as a fish came out of a corner they would usher it back in.

But it didn't last long as I swapped them for some danios.

:D I have 6 Serpae Tetras with a Pearl and Golden Gourami, guppys and a common plec and i must say that the Serpaes have never been any trouble at all. As far as i can see there hasnt been any fin nipping either supose it comes down to the individual fish. I think Cardinals are quite a pretty fish, better than the Neons because they are a bit bigger, but the most favorite of mine has to be the Diamond Tetra. As soon as the light hits those they look stunning, :wub: you will need at least 6, i suggest if you are in doubt as to what to buy then look at a few species on google then you can see what you fancy. GOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

I have Neon Tetras and I think one my be pregnant...How can you tell if it is pregnant or just a good eater...LOL
If it is pregnant, what is the probablity of the eggs hatching? :dunno: Thanks for the info... :D

Im georgias other half! - we have just come back from a months holiday and all the fish are well!

Now we want a small school of tetras..... What should we buy!??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back