tanks

Magnum

Reaction score
im looking for a really big tank and wondering if ne one knows how big glass tanks come in. how long, high, and wide do they get?

Thanks in Advance!!!

I'm not sure really :dunno: .. I too am looking ... although my local shop quoted me a price ( $683. American dollars ... sound right anyone ?? ) for a six feet long X 30 inches high X 2 feet wide ... it had 1/2 inch glass all around and two sheets of glass on the bottom for a total bottom thicknes of 7/8 of an inch.

Based on two shops 30 to 31 Inches tall seems to be the limit for their standard 1/2 glass ... taller they said skyrockets in price ... the second shop wanted $880 for a same size tank but 31 inches tall .. they did not mention extra glass on the bottom. -_-

I have seen eight foot long tanks on the web .... but my wall is only six feet long :crazy:

Good Day .... B)

It all depends on how much space you have and how adventurous you want to get! Obviously, the bigger the tank, the better. Larger tanks are more stable and do not need as much maintenance as a smaller one.

If you really want something different, (and are brave enough to try), you could always have a go at making your own!

Most glaziers will have what is known as 6mm salvage, which is plate glass that's from shop windows that have just had a corner knocked off it, etc. It is ideal for repairing or making fish tanks with, and is relatively cheap. Obviously, you'll not be able to make enormous tanks, using this thickness of glass, but it does allow you to be a little creative, and make something quite unique. Using re-enforced glass, (the kind with the metal grill in it), for the bottom sheet, if you're going to make something unusually deep. Plus, bear in mind when making a tank that water is heavy! (10lbs/G.) So the stand it will be placed on has to be very solid indeed.

It not be the cheapest option, but at least you'll have something fairly unique!

building one could be kinda cool. i'll have to think on that. but just how big can you get tanks at lfs or other places assuming i have the room to put it and everything else?

HI..checkout All-glass.com...I think their biggest tank is in the 180-200 range. If you have the resources, there are companies that can custom build one for you. SH

Most reactions

Back