tank size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sarahp

Reaction score
Is it possible to keep cichlids in a 70l tank? maybe just a pair. I have heard you can buy dwarf fish. How many and what decor would be best. Help needed

Welcome to the forum sarahp. :)

Do you mean Africans or New World cichlids?

If you are just looking for a pair, a pair of Rams would work fine in a 70l. You could probably get 2 pair in a 20g.

You could also add some "dither" fish to make the rams feel more secure like danios, corydoras or cherry barbs.

Decor could be plastic plants with a small piece of wood and some gravel. (Unless you mean live plants?)

Thanks SMB i really wanted a tank with mainly rock. Went to my lfs yesterday and he said it wouldn't be good idea to have cichlids in a small tank as they would kill each other!! Asked him about pair of angels instead but he said they would probably end up fighting too!!! Looks like another community aquarium. Any suggestions? As for your question about what sort of cichlids, i wasn't sure, I have read so much about them but still was not sure which would be best

sarahp,

Welcome!!

I have to disagree with the guy at your lfs.

There are many cichlids that will work in your tank. Julidochromis transcriptis for one.

Most of the Tanganyikan shelldwellers would also work. These little guys are fasinating to watch and will allow many spawns to grow up together. In fact many of the "shellies" fry will help raise the next batch of fry.

Don't settle for another community tank if thats not what you want.

Do a search using "Tanganyikan shelldwellers" a a key and you will be amazed at what would work in your tank.

CM

Thank you so much. I am going to do a search right now. I will let you know what i come up with.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back