Tank mates

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Camonickel

Reaction score
Howdy. I got some mollies handed to me since Iā€™m the pet person. Two had babies and I ainā€™t about it. I was told an all female tank is chill but males not so much. I donā€™t want babies and you Bess bet I will buy 50 tanks to separate them. What is the maximum amount of males I can put in a tank with NOT CROSS BREEDABLE ( I mean not even a flukes chance) females to prevent males from getting aggressive. I tried to look myself and came up with tiger Barbs. I have common mollies to be specific so they have short fins.

Last edited:
There are lots of fish that can be combined with short finned mollies. A lot of barb species can be done and yes tiger barbs are one of them. I don't understand well with your question of putting male molloies in there. For having already female mollies will let the molly population grow with the future offspring . But I read that you don't want any babies. And be aware of it that female mollies can store sperm from a mating. Which gives them the opportunity to become pregnant again even if there's no male around.

There are lots of fish that can be combined with short finned mollies. A lot of barb species can be done and yes tiger barbs are one of them. I don't understand well with your question of putting male molloies in there. For having already female mollies will let the molly population grow with the future offspring . But I read that you don't want any babies. And be aware of it that female mollies can store sperm from a mating. Which gives them the opportunity to become pregnant again even if there's no male around.
Thank you so much! And yes Iā€™m diving into learning about these little boogers. They are quite the hassle so I will have to get over some babies but if I can get ahead and slow it down I can get to a stable and small population. I want to put all the male mollies in one tank and toss in a bunch of female barbs hoping they will be happy and not pissed off and get aggressive with each other. I have never owned a fish but Iā€™m doing my best. I came here because the pet store plain out told me wrong and one fish died immediately. So thank you for taking the time to confirm my thinking on barbs!

You may find it tricky to buy female only barbs. Very few store workers will be willing catch specific fish from a tank of fish looking more or less the same.

Tiger barbs would not be at the top of my list as both males and females are renowned fin nippers. Why not choose another fish which needs the same hard water as mollies and one which does not nip the fins of other fish. If you want barbs, cherry barbs can live in hard water and are not fin nippers. They are very unlikely to produce babies as the eggs will probably all be eaten and if any do survive, they fry will quickly be eaten. I have had cherry barbs for months and have just found 1 single juvenile. I have no idea how it managed to survive.

Tiger barbs would not be at the top of my list as both males and females are renowned fin nippers.
Mollies can be fin nippers as well.

They don't have quote the reputation of tiger barbs though ;)

You may find it tricky to buy female only barbs. Very few store workers will be willing catch specific fish from a tank of fish looking more or less the same.

Tiger barbs would not be at the top of my list as both males and females are renowned fin nippers. Why not choose another fish which needs the same hard water as mollies and one which does not nip the fins of other fish. If you want barbs, cherry barbs can live in hard water and are not fin nippers. They are very unlikely to produce babies as the eggs will probably all be eaten and if any do survive, they fry will quickly be eaten. I have had cherry barbs for months and have just found 1 single juvenile. I have no idea how it managed to survive.
i went snoopin at petco and i literally looked at the barbs and decided to go with cherry barbs so that makes me feel better. i chose them because the google said they are close in environment and they were the closest to the same size. other than that i know that they cant interbreed. but as it stands the mating problem will have to wait because the water crap show is the biggest problem

Most reactions

Back