Tank Full of Gouramis?

spannerman

Reaction score
Hi all, I am buying a Juwel Trigon 190 (190 litre capacity) and am considering making it mainly a one species tank of Gouramis. What would be the forum members recommendations be as to which ones to use, and how many. I would obviously also like some community fish as well to make it more appealing. I am also putting this posting in the 'Chit Chat' forum as well.

Hi spannerman :)

Are you saying that you want to have a "school" of gouramis in your tank? :dunno:

In most cases, standard size or dwarf gouramis tend to be territorial and aggressive toward each other and will give you problems if you put many of them in your tank. Since your tank converts to about 50 US gallons, you might be able to keep two of them, but no more. I have a 55 gallon tank and have had to separate my males so that there is now only one in there.

On the other hand, female gouramis, which (except for the pearl gouramis) look very much like the males, will get along well together, although I have heard of problems with them too.

I agree with Inchworm. I love gouramis. They're great fish, but not very social. I was lucky to have a Pearl, a blue, an opaline, and a dwarf all get along pretty well in a smaller tank than your's. Currently, I have an opaline, and a dwarf sexed couple. The male is spectacular (Avatar photo)
The aggression can be pretty nasty in the first few days after they are introduced to the tank and dwarves tend not to fight back against the other types of gouramis. My male Dwarf, is easily twice the size of my opaline, and he lets the opaline beat him up. I can't figure it out.
Sometimes the aggression gets better, sometimes not so.
Interestingly in my experience, despite opalines, blues (3 spot), and gold gouramis all being the same species,just colour variants, I have found that golds are the most aggressive and less likely to lose their aggression. I have never successfully been able to keep a gold gourami with other gouramis. Pearls are pretty docile, but mine used to get a little nasty for awhile when new gouramis were added to the tank. Dwarves are just mean to other Dwarf males.

LSmall

i have had two dwarf gouramis which i think are both males together with no problem. They actually got along great, swam around together and everything. I have had this on two different occasions with no problems. When i bought them though the guy said not to get more than two at once. I'd just put a couple in there and have some other species of fish ( i dont know what 190 liters is in gallons or else i'd give you some suggestions) :)

Hi lsmall :)

Your dwarf gouramis are the true dwarfs. :thumbs:

Most of the ones on sale today are the specially bred color varieties and the milder disposition seems to have disappeared when the pretty colors developed. Another thing about these new gouramis is that it's unusual to be able to find females with them. I live in New York and have never seen one. :/

I'm sorry to say, that since these have come on the market, it's rare that I see the kind you have anymore either. :no:

Here's my opaline gourami coming in for a sneak attack on my unsuspecting, wimp of a dwarf gourami.

LSmall

Attachments

• attack.JPG
    attack.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 86
My post from your other topic about a tank full of gourami :)

Avoid any sensitive gourami such as the chocolates, which are nice looking fish but require a lot of work.

When buying gourami, as mentioned above, try to get more females than males, a ratio of around 1:3 would be great as male gourami can get extremly aggresive, especially when spawining. Another thing is not to keep too many, since pretty much all gourami swim at the top of the tank you'll need to limit the number you get to avoid territorial aggresion

Inchworm said:
Another thing about these new gouramis is that it's unusual to be able to find females with them. I live in New York and have never seen one. :/
:
yeah, i agree. I was sold two as a pair but later decided they were both males.

Most reactions

Back