T5 Tubes For Planted Tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just after some feedback regarding T5 lighting for a planted tank. Anyone have any experience with certain types of bulb which have given good results. I want to minimise the pinky hue that tubes designed for planted tanks tend to give.

Ta,

WK

P.S. I'm after something that's readily available in the UK.

Do you have any experience of these bulbs? I'm thinking of getting one plant specific tube and one full spectrum tube so as not to have a pinkish hue on the tank. Any suggestions?

WK

Is the T5 in addition to your standard T8 Juwel fitting? If so, I would get 2 Arcadia Plant-Pro and your T8s should give a nice colour balance. I'm not sure of the colour temp. of the Arcadia Plant-Pro but I'd reckon from the spectrum graph that they'd give a whitish-blue/green light, I may be completely wrong though!!

The standard T8s I have running at the moment are a 40W Aqua Glo and a 40W Flora Glo. This gives a pretty pink hue already. I just don't want to make it worse.

WK

I'd suggest buying the 2 Plant-Pro tubes and see how they look with your current T8s. If you're not satisfied then I'm sure there's a return policy with Aquatics-Online (the shop link I posted). If the light is still too pinkish for you but you like the T5s then I would change your T8s (I'd consider this anyway if you afford it). I use 1 x Arcadia Freshwater Lamp (7500K) which is a high-output, full-spectrum and gives a crisp white light and accentuates the greens of the plants and fish colours (not a hint of pink). I've also got an Interpet Daylight Plus (6500K) which gives a really well-balanced white light, it's also high-output and boasts 4 peaks in its spectrum rather that the usual 3 peaks of most full-spectrum bulbs. You already know about the Dennerle tube, this gives a really nice warm light (yellow/orange tint) and is my favourite. I'm actually going to squeeze another 30" 25W into my Rio 125 giving me 86W total.

Most reactions

Back