synodontis eruptus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just wondering since synodontis eruptus are kinda similar to Upside down catfish, do they like a companion like the usd? I only have one in the tank.............maybe he is lonely?

It is very likely, seeing as these fish appear to be quite closely related; I tried looking up this specific species, but was only able to find the Upside-down Catfish. From what I know of these, however, (I own 2 myself--and need another one) they are most definitely shoaling fish and need to be in at least a group of three in order to be happy. If they are not, they will either pine away and die due to stress, or live their entire lives in hiding--which is what mine are doing right now. If this is what your synodontis eruptus is doing as well, it may be the same case; so yes, you may want to get him a couple of "buddies."

Never2Bknown said:
It is very likely, seeing as these fish appear to be quite closely related; I tried looking up this specific species, but was only able to find the Upside-down Catfish. From what I know of these, however, (I own 2 myself--and need another one) they are most definitely shoaling fish and need to be in at least a group of three in order to be happy. If they are not, they will either pine away and die due to stress, or live their entire lives in hiding--which is what mine are doing right now. If this is what your synodontis eruptus is doing as well, it may be the same case; so yes, you may want to get him a couple of "buddies."
Well he has had a traumatic couple of weeks, a botia has been trying to kill him..............got rid of the little bast*rd and now the synodonits is a little shy, although I would never say he was swimming his head off or anything. :fun: I figured that they would need a friend or two, being from the same family as the USD. At $15 a pop, though, it will take me a while to get a "shoal" of them. I really enjoy this fish though, so I wont grumble at the price too much....... :wub:

i asked at catfish planet about which synos could be kept alone silurus said that both eruptus and nigriventus would work

My upside down catfish do stay at each others side most of the time, but I didnt have any luck with my synodontis eupterus. I have had one for awhile and decided to get him a friend. My bigger one would chase the little guy away anytime it came into his area. He didnt seem to like the new one at all, so I ended up taking it back to the LFS. :-( I do love this fish though! It is not very active but is a beautiful fish IMO. Love to watch him and my USD's eat. :D

vantgE and Alanky, thanks for your help!

i asked at catfish planet about which synos could be kept alone silurus said that both eruptus and nigriventus would work

thanks for doing that for me vantgE. :)

I have had one for awhile and decided to get him a friend. My bigger one would chase the little guy away anytime it came into his area. He didnt seem to like the new one at all, so I ended up taking it back to the LFS. I do love this fish though! It is not very active but is a beautiful fish IMO. Love to watch him and my USD's eat.

I had two for a while, and the same thing happened to me! At first, when I put the new one in, they were like "hey! I know you!" but then didn't hang out too much. I thought maybe it was 'cause they weren't feeling too good 'cause a few days after the tank got a huge case of ick. Then, the new one died and I wondered if the other one missed him, even if they were just chasing each other. I guess they might prefer to have the tank to themeslves as far as a species anyway...... :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back