Stupid but need to know

Guppy Gal

Reaction score
I'll likely be laughed at for asking but I need to ask.

I have a pregnant guppy, and her belly is looking large and square.
I was watching her for some time today and noticed something odd.

While looking at her gravid spot which is close to her anal fin, I saw this dark spot open and close. It wasn't her pooping, it almost appeared like the location where the fry would be dropping. This started happening an hour and a half ago, but no fry yet.

Do fish go into labour and have to dialate before she can drop? Does she have to push out the fry or does all that just happen naturally? I know most people just notice fry in their tank, but I need to find out if anyone has ever seen a Guppy actually give birth?

Guppy Gal said:
I'll likely be laughed at for asking but I need to ask.

I have a pregnant guppy, and her belly is looking large and square.
I was watching her for some time today and noticed something odd.

While looking at her gravid spot which is close to her anal fin, I saw this dark spot open and close. It wasn't her pooping, it almost appeared like the location where the fry would be dropping. This started happening an hour and a half ago, but no fry yet.

Do fish go into labour and have to dialate before she can drop? Does she have to push out the fry or does all that just happen naturally? I know most people just notice fry in their tank, but I need to find out if anyone has ever seen a Guppy actually give birth?
Seeing a livebearer give birth is quite common and most people have, I haven't though :blush:

Maybe an idea to keep an eye on her, it'll be obvious when shes had the babies though :) (sometimes takes a couple of days for all the babies to go they go out in batches if the mother is not big enough I think).

I would imagine the fry probably are pretty crampt in there and just push their way out themselves but am not sure perhaps someone else can clarify?

:D I was right! She has had 6 fry so far! I watched 3 of them being born.
IT's my birthday today and I'm happy to share it with the new fry.
Yeah.. wondering how many she'll have.

Unless she's holding back... not many. She's a pretty big fish... the largest guppy I have. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she has more!
:D

If its her first lot then it probably won't be 20, she may have had some babies which got eaten before you saw them as well :/

I counted 14 fry from the last batch, now have one :( - but he must be strong cos there was only a bit of bogwood in the hex (no cover). A lot of people rubbish guppies, but I think there great :p :p :p :p :p

:( My new fry's mommy died yesterday. I'm not sure why. I had her seperate from the males so she could rest before going back into the main guppy tank.

My last batch of fry's mommy died too a couple weeks after they were born.

Is there special care for a female guppy who just had dropped her fry?

The fry are doing good. We ended up with 7. WIth my other breeder box, they were able to escape somehow. I'm kinda stumped as to how, but they did. SO I was able to rescue all but one.

All seem healthy and are eating and swimming.

I love my guppies :wub: and can't wait to get some more.

Do you have a net (mesh) breeding net? If it is a plastic jobbie then its not very good as fry will escape and some fish can suck fry out of it. If its one of the little net ones thats the best, it also has better water circulation.

Unfortunately death of the mother is not uncommon after giving birth, quite a traumatic ordeal, I don't know of any way of reducing the risk apart from keeping her stress low? Perhaps not moving her at all from the tank, and just removing the babies/as and when u find them.

hopefully someone else can help a bit more :thumbs:

I think guppies are definitely the most fun out of all the fish I have had though, except maybe Betas when they get mad. Apparently my guppy gave birth (her third fry, with no male present to impregnate her after the first batch... :eek: ) two or three days ago, and she is now very sick and dying too. I was not aware she was pregnant at all this time!!! I have never had a guppy die right after birth, but I am sure her sickness has something to do with it. I used to have tons of guppies about 10 years ago, and one lived three years and was HUGE and had 30 babies every couple months, they were always healthy and so much fun to watch!!! I just hate when they eat them!!! :(

Most reactions

Back