Strange swimming imbellis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....
Reaction score
One of my imbellis is acting weird. He is swimming with his back is arched - like a shark threat display. His stomach is also, ummm... fat. But no extended scales sticking out like a pine cone. Is this consipation or something more life-threatening?

is there "poop" anywhere in his bowl?

Could be the early stages of dropsy or it could be constipation. You can treat him in a bowl with epsom salt water to relieve constipation (1 tablespoon per gallon)

Let him swim around for 15 to 30 minutes until he "goes" or begins to look stressed, if he stresses just move him back to his bowl , give him a water change to remove any salt residue that may have been on him after you treat him

His bowl was clean when I was doing bowl checks. The others had poo. Constipation? I guess it's pellets for this guy from now on.

Well, dropsy doesn't always pinecone their scales. But, if he hasn't pooped in awhile, might be constipuation. You can try the boiled green pea (cook any green pea (canned, frozen, de-podded fresh) until it gets to the squishy stage, cool it, then sort of squeeze it between your fingers until the soft inside squishes out of the cover, give the soft squish part to your fish) but some fish won't eat peas. You can try offering live food (daphnia are excellent, live brine shrimp are good) to get some fiber into them. Also not feeding him for a few days (they can live for quite a while without food so don't worry) also helps. That Epsom salt treatment might work. Feeding him only pellets probably will only increase the incidence of constipation--unless you soak the pellets first to get more liquid into his digestive system.

Most reactions

Back