stocking suggestions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

billy_69

Reaction score
im in the middle of building the stand have the tank ready all my supplys (so i hope) but have some questions about stocking?? whats the general rule on how many fish u can have?? I want to start with smaller fish that are peacful. ive read about a ton of fish and have seen a ton i liked but cant figure out what fish r to big to put with others??? I mean can a 1"er go with a 5"er if they r both peacful?? i really want to make sure i get a good grasp before i start throwing fish in my tank. :hyper: :hyper: :dunno:

With general peaceful community fish, 1" per gallon is the normal rule of thumb. But with different types of fish, different rules aply etc etc. So, what fish are you REALLY into? :)

EDIT: Welcome to the Fishy Forums! :hi:

Depends on the fish.. what fish are you thinking about keeping in your 90g? You certainly could get a nice community going with some Rams, Rainbows, Tetras, Loaches, Cories and Gouramis.

Let us know what your thinking...

thanks for the replys!!! ive been looking at most of the fish u pointed out Mobern,Tetras, loachs, coryies, platies(maybe)and rasboras. im really into the rainbows and Gouramis. I havent read much about rams but i thought they were more aggressive?? i did see a pic of a german blue ram (nice fish). Like i said im just getting into this hobby. i also really like killfish but seem a little pricey to start with, but do they do well in community tanks? But someday when i get some know how and keep some smaller cheaper fish alive i want to get some chichlids they r some amazing and diverse fish.

one more question what about small plecos r they good with all the other fish i have listed??? and let me add danios to the list also. Like i said i still dont know what type i want :dunno: :crazy:

Rams are fine and so are small plecos.

You could probably keep around 8 dwarf rainbows, 8 cories, 4 Blue Rams, 2 Yo-yo loaches (or 6 Khuli Loaches), 8 Tetras, 8 rasboras, 2 Gouramis and a bristlenose pleco or some ottos.

Just a suggestion...

Angelfish and Bala sharks make a nice mix. Add some cory cats, a pleco or two and your done.

On the flip side for a mish mosh of color go with ciclids.

Whatever you do, research any fish you see in the store BEFORE you bring it home.

Here is a big guide of fish to look at with temperment and potential size listed.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=830
Pick some that you like and post the potential mixes here. Someone will tell you if it's cool or not.
Also, don't rush to stock. Get a few, wait a few weeks, get some more etc.

Plus, look for breeders in the area you live in. Fish from the breeder are usually healthier and not contaminated by a Local Fish Store's central filtration sesspool of disease.

EDIT: Don't doubt that fish that are not compatible will kill or wound it's tankmates. I want a Banded leporinus but they are fin nippers by reputation.

Most reactions

Back